Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does time machine back up everything on a mac?

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 10:31 AM

4 replies

Dec 27, 2021 3:30 PM in response to don in sharon

Everything is in my experience not backed up.

For instance:

I used iTunes to back up devices. (assuming that apple backup instuments behave the same .. time machine - iTunes - iCloud - and now instead? of iTunes it is finder?

If I understand correctly, after a call to tech support, in iTunes everything is over written and ONLY the latest backup is available.

I backed up with time machine to an external drive. Before I called tech support I looked in libraries and did what the support articles said regarding finding backups.

Now I ? think I understand that time machine does not back up iTunes back up.

I don't realize instantly that I lost something so having backups of EVERYTHING. (meaning everything) is important.

I have been lead to believe that iCloud is a simple back up method. It doesn't have a way to see what is there without doing a restore of the entire device. --- way too time consuming, especially if the iCloud back up only contains the last couple of backups!

So if the settings aren't perfect, if a back up of previous iCloud backups haven't been made - for example on an on site external - then good luck.

Recently, I lost my entire iCloud photo library. It has been less than 1 month. Spent over 1/2 a day and tech support call. No it isn't in recently deleted as I changed the system library BIG OPPS! And an entire string of text messages. (I deleted accidentally, and then checked the other persons phone and they are not there either!!! iCloud does not back up and keep back ups.

Please if I am missing some nuance where things are archived let me know!

My big question is, if Apple is providing back up solutions why aren't they consistent?

With every update things seem to change. I went through this with iPhoto to photo to NOW HOLY MOLY!

Consistency of some sort would allow for the knowledge to be built on. When locations change, options change, everything talks to everything else YIKES.

Convenience ? DAYS of relearning systems everytime a helpful young apple buck steps on the scene to rewrite and "improve". Please suggest Consistency. and when there are instructions..... just that not 35 links to everything else. Complete instructions with warnings about what not to do AND WHY!

Also DATING ARTICLES at the top, for what hardware and os or iOS it applies.

Also! Getting the glitches out before you have us all help... unless we opt in!

In my experience. NO it does not back up EVERYTHING. it really doesn't. If it does! I have yet to find it or be able to Use it! It is finicky to restore from! READ all the instructions (a ream or 2!) (sort of a joke)

DON'T Assume! I am going back to saving important files to an external and not using messages for anything I want to reference back into time.

Happy New Year

Please put a list of what (specifically) time machine does not back up! (ON TIME MACHINE opening page!)

And a warning that iCloud is not a stand alone solution.

Specific and in your face instructions on how to Back Up EVERYTHING! and why and what can happen if you assume you are covered!

Dec 28, 2021 4:51 AM in response to NNY123

NNY123 wrote:

Just today I was told that time machine does not back up other mail accounts Like G mail etc that might be on your Mac.
?
Is that correct? Or does Time machine back up everything? more confused

Mail accounts like Gmail are IMAP protocol and are server based, i.e. all mail resides on the server until deleted. So, since emails from these sorts of accounts do not actually reside on the Mac, Time Machine will not back them up.

However, if you have email accounts that have the old POP services, then all that mail resides on the Mac until deleted and therefore would be backed up by Time Machine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.