Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locating an AirTag using iCoud.com/find

Has anyone successfully used icloud.com/find to find their registered AirTag?

Is this a working option? Not everyone has access to newer iPadOS or iPhoneOS.

Thanks.

iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 4:11 PM

I am finding the same limitation of Air Tag - only can be found on devices that are assigned to your apple ID bot not a a borrowed device using icloud.

Likely scenarios include (assuming the typical setup of having an Air Tag on my keys paired to my iPhone):

1. If both my iphone is lost/stolen and so are my keys with an Air Tag on them , then I have no way to locate the keys paired to my iphone. iCloud supports locating my phone but not my Air Tag. So unless I find my phone first than I will never find my keys.

1. Suppose I leave my phone at home and then lose my keys outside. The Air Tag on keys is useless since I must get inside the house first to get my phone! I cannot use icloud or borrow another persons computer or apple device to first find my keys to get in the house.

This is really frustrating - there should be some way to use iCloud with my apple ID to find Air Tags - otherwise it is only useful as long as I have my phone - can't lose both!

Apple . . . Please enable Air Tag on iCloud or provides a secondary way to locate Air Tag besides your only Apple device. I find this a big miss and will not be purchasing any more unless this is incorporated.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2022 4:11 PM in response to Hunter.Peck

I am finding the same limitation of Air Tag - only can be found on devices that are assigned to your apple ID bot not a a borrowed device using icloud.

Likely scenarios include (assuming the typical setup of having an Air Tag on my keys paired to my iPhone):

1. If both my iphone is lost/stolen and so are my keys with an Air Tag on them , then I have no way to locate the keys paired to my iphone. iCloud supports locating my phone but not my Air Tag. So unless I find my phone first than I will never find my keys.

1. Suppose I leave my phone at home and then lose my keys outside. The Air Tag on keys is useless since I must get inside the house first to get my phone! I cannot use icloud or borrow another persons computer or apple device to first find my keys to get in the house.

This is really frustrating - there should be some way to use iCloud with my apple ID to find Air Tags - otherwise it is only useful as long as I have my phone - can't lose both!

Apple . . . Please enable Air Tag on iCloud or provides a secondary way to locate Air Tag besides your only Apple device. I find this a big miss and will not be purchasing any more unless this is incorporated.

Dec 23, 2021 7:52 PM in response to Hunter.Peck

Hi Hunter.Peck,

Sorry I'm no expert.

Apple Support has an article online that includes Find My on the list of:

"Apps and features that use iCloud"

Complete article: https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/icloud/mm203ae070a2/icloud

Says:

Locate your friends, family, Apple devices or everyday items. 

Learn more about location sharing with Find My.

Another Article:

"What you can locate with Find My on each device"

Says

Make sure to set up Find My on each of your devices before they’re lost.

hthttps://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/icloud/mmfc0f2442/1.0/icloud/1.0

Another article:

Locate a device in Find My iPhone on iCloud.com (doesn't mention AirTag ... but does mention "other devices")

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/icloud/mmfc0f2442/1.0/icloud/1.0

Perhaps something here, or in the articles, will help :-)

Jan 12, 2022 5:13 PM in response to Gmarman

Hi Gmarman,

Welcome to the Apple Community,

and

Thank you for contributing to the discussion.

As we are all Apple users, like yourself, doing what we can to help each other troubleshoot,

Apple will not see the comments you made, and the concerns you have.

If you wish to send feedback to Apple,

There's a webpage form for sending feedback on Air Tag:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/airtag/

All the best :-)

Locating an AirTag using iCoud.com/find

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.