Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install older version 10.14 macos on my 2018 mac mini

I made a 10.14 bootable installer for my mac mini, and saved it to an external hard drive that was formatted as APFS.

I wanted to format my mac mini as Extended Journaled HSF+, to be compatible with my 2009 iMac , so migrating files would transfer smoothly.

Problem is, after reformatting the mini mac to HSF+, I couldn’t use the bootable installer.

Is this because the installer was created on a drive formatted as APFS ?

If so, can I copy the installer from the APFS drive, & paste it on a flash drive format in HFS+, then start the process of format mini mac to HFS+, and then install the bootable 10.14 macos from the flash drive flash drive ?

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 5:53 PM

No, a 2018 Mac Mini can only run macOS 10.14 Mojave or later.

You are over thinking the whole iTunes/Music thing. All you need to do is import the old iTunes Library into Music on the newer Mac.

Plus many older 32bit app's can still run in Mojave, but not in Catalina or the later macOS's.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2021 5:53 PM in response to cqcqcq

No, a 2018 Mac Mini can only run macOS 10.14 Mojave or later.

You are over thinking the whole iTunes/Music thing. All you need to do is import the old iTunes Library into Music on the newer Mac.

Plus many older 32bit app's can still run in Mojave, but not in Catalina or the later macOS's.

Dec 22, 2021 4:25 PM in response to den.thed

Is it possible to install High Sierra instead?

I have an extensive iTunes library, and a few programs in 32 bit I’d like to transfer from the external HD on my old computer, which used Extended Journaled HFS+ format?

For some reason, many of my iTunes files are no longer available at iTunes, but were backed up on the old HD, along with the missing album artwork.

I am assuming the 2 formats aren’t compatible, and won’t import the files properly

Dec 23, 2021 11:00 AM in response to cqcqcq

Thanks for clarifying the os on the mini mac intel...I was misled by support. I purchased the 2018 to use offline, and save everything currently on my 2009 iMac.

So, should i create a copy from the old hard drive, to transfer to the mini’s HD ?

I spent a lot of time a few years back, organizing those files...and read a few stories in the community how things can go awry. It’s been years since I’ve used rhe computer, and I’ve forgotten the little I learned then, by trial & error.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Install older version 10.14 macos on my 2018 mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.