Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone compass misbehaves

I use an iPhone SE (new version.

The magnetometer upon which the iphone's compass app depends behaves erratically and unpredictably. The compass frequently displays a wrong orientation.

I have compass calibration switched on in Settings; if I switch calibration off and on again, the compass will show the right orientation, but if I then move the phone — especially if I rotate it — the compass very often loses its directionality and shows an inaccurate direction, sometimes even wrong by nearly 180 degrees.

If one is finding one's way in the country or in a city, takes one's phone out of one's pocket and opens the compass, there is no way of telling whether it is at that moment telling the truth or lying. Surely one should not have to go through the whole procedure of finding compass calibration in Settings and switching it off and on again before deciding whether to turn left or right to continue one's walk?

I should be very grateful for any suggestions.

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2021 7:05 AM

Hello Michael Graubart,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, you have some issues using the iPhone Compass. We'll do our best to assist with this.

First, we'd recommend to remove any case or screen protectors you might be using and test it out with these steps: Use the compass on iPhone

Is your device using the True North in Settings > Compass? If so, you'd need to have this enabled in Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Compass Calibration.

Test out the issue with a clear view of the sky for 2-3 minutes.

If the issue is not resolved and this happens in multiple locations, then we'd recommend to contact Apple Support directly: Get Support

Hoping this helps out, take care!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2021 7:05 AM in response to Michael Graubart

Hello Michael Graubart,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, you have some issues using the iPhone Compass. We'll do our best to assist with this.

First, we'd recommend to remove any case or screen protectors you might be using and test it out with these steps: Use the compass on iPhone

Is your device using the True North in Settings > Compass? If so, you'd need to have this enabled in Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Compass Calibration.

Test out the issue with a clear view of the sky for 2-3 minutes.

If the issue is not resolved and this happens in multiple locations, then we'd recommend to contact Apple Support directly: Get Support

Hoping this helps out, take care!

Dec 24, 2021 9:52 AM in response to destiny241

Thank you very much. Your reply made me think about things like the mock-leather case that. I keep my phone in, and to my astonishment I then realized that it has an insert that is supposed to prevent bystanders hacking my details as stored in the phone — a metallic, presumably ferrous insert that I had completely forgotten about!

I have removed my phone from the case, and it seems now to behave more consistently; but I shall have to test it more thoroughly. But thank you again.

Dec 24, 2021 3:16 PM in response to destiny241

And hey! to you, too, destiny 241! I have now tested the phone's compass more thoroughly, and taking it out of the case really does seem to have cured the problem. How it was that I never thought about any possible iron or steel shielding inside the case I cannot understand. I have used an ordinary compass for many decades when walking in a town or hiking in hill country, and have always made sure that there were no iron or steel objects near the compass. Dazzled, I suppose, by the complexity and sophistication of the iphone, I forgot all about such simple things as the proximity of metal screening invisibly built into the case.

Thank you again, and have a happy Christmas and New Year.

iPhone compass misbehaves

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.