Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple ID account thinks I have two computers but I don

My mac has started asking me to update my apple ID password. I have the apple ID password, but I don't have passwords for every device I've ever owned anymore. What's worse, it is asking me for passwords to two different macbook airs but I've only ever owned one (my current laptop) and whatever this ghost macbook air is, it does not have the same password as my current one. As a result I can't successfully update my apple ID. Any suggestions?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 10:53 AM

I was already checking this and deleted several old computers. The trouble was that, in the process of updating my apple ID, the dialogue boxes were asking me for the password to my macbook air "not this macbook air" and there was no other macbook air on the list. I thought it was weird. At any rate, it seems to have now stopped doing that, so I guess all is well?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2021 10:53 AM in response to Limnos

I was already checking this and deleted several old computers. The trouble was that, in the process of updating my apple ID, the dialogue boxes were asking me for the password to my macbook air "not this macbook air" and there was no other macbook air on the list. I thought it was weird. At any rate, it seems to have now stopped doing that, so I guess all is well?

Dec 23, 2021 10:39 AM in response to iamhansmt

Discover how to 'Check your Apple ID device list to see where you‘re signed in'

click here --> https://support.apple.com/HT205064

- Learn which devices appear in your Apple ID device list, how to see your device's details, and how to remove a device, if necessary.

- Special section at the end on how to "Permanently remove a device from your account page"

My Apple ID account thinks I have two computers but I don

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.