Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connectivity and Notifications Problem

My iPhone XS Max suddenly stopped showing notifications from all apps except for the stock apps (messages, facetime, calendars, etc..). Gowing through the problem more deeply, I found out that the apps do not connect to the internet (wifi+cellular) until I open the app itself, then I receive all messages/notifications at once.

Updating to iOS 15.2 didn't help fix the problem. I also tried to reset all settings, it didn't help unfortunately. I checked each app's notifications and connection settings, nothing helped as well. Restarting/Turning off the device was not one of the solutions.

I started missing some of my important intenet calls/messages because of this problem and I need to fix it. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 1:24 AM

Thank you.

I reported to Apple Support and I got called by them and we tried all what you mentioned above, none of them worked unfortunately.

The only thing that solved the problem at the end was to reset to factory settings.

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 24, 2021 11:08 AM in response to Moe_Khalil

Hello Moe_Khalil, 

We understand that on your device you’re not receiving notifications and this happens when connected to both Wi-Fi and cellular data. 

Please be sure that there isn’t a Focus enabled or Do Not Disturb that may be preventing notifications - Use Focus on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Additionally, if you have VPN or security software installed on your device, please remove it (not just disable it), restart your device and test again. 

Another thing to check is in Settings > General > Date & Time that Set Automatically is enabled. 

Thanks. 

Dec 25, 2021 7:01 AM in response to AnnieL2

Thanks for the response.

I for sure tried connecting to connect to only one of the Wifi or Cellular but i it didn't help.

Both focus and do not disturb are disabled.

I don't have neither a VPN nor a security software.

And the time is set to automatic.

Any other solutions? Because I really started to miss some important messages and calls on time..it's frustrating

Dec 26, 2021 12:23 PM in response to Moe_Khalil

Moe_Khalil, 

Great troubleshooting, thanks for doing all that! Can you tell us if the issue is isolated to only audible notifications, such as a ringtone, or if it extends to silent and lock screen notifications as well? 

If it is related only to audible notifications, let’s go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics and make sure one of the default tones is chosen and not a customized or purchased tone. 

Can we also check Background App Refresh for these specific apps? That’s in Settings > General > Background App Refresh. Is that off for the specific apps you’re having an issue with? If so, does enabling it change the notifications? 

Thank you. 

Connectivity and Notifications Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.