Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I ty to use Face ID now I can't even Reset it, because the Apps that I want to use Face ID for (iPhone unlock, iTunes and App Store, Apple Pay and Password AutoFill) are unable to be selected. I have the latest update.

Face ID was working fine, and then it just stopped.

iPhone X

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 10:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2021 10:42 PM in response to Lyn and Ken

If an alert says Face ID has been disabled on your iPhone or iPad Pro

If you see this message on the Home Screen or in Settings, your iPhone or iPad might need an update or service.

You might see the following message on your iPhone X or later, iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation) or later, or iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) or later:

"A problem was detected with the TrueDepth Camera. Face ID has been disabled."

What to do next:

1. Update your iPhone or iPad to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
  2. If you still can't enroll your face or unlock your device with Face ID, take your device to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact Apple Support about your iPhone or your iPad.

You should always have your device repaired by Apple or an authorized service provider. Improper repair, modification, or use of non-genuine Apple components in the laser systems may prevent the safety mechanisms from functioning properly and could cause hazardous exposure and injury to eyes or skin.

What the message means:

Using diagnostics in iOS, Apple has detected an issue with your TrueDepth camera that might cause it to not function as expected. The TrueDepth camera contains lasers, which might be disabled for safety reasons if the device malfunctions or is damaged. This won't prevent you from using your iPhone or iPad, but until your iPhone or iPad is updated or serviced, you might not be able to use Face ID, Animoji, Memoji, and some other features that use the front camera.

Get expert service and support at the Genius Bar:

👉🏼 Call 1-800-MY-APPLE or get help here. 

When I ty to use Face ID now I can't even Reset it, because the Apps that I want to use Face ID for (iPhone unlock, iTunes and App Store, Apple Pay and Password AutoFill) are unable to be selected. I have the latest update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.