Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create desktop icon for iTunes on Windows 10

There are old outdated postings that explain how to do this but they no longer work. I am trying to out a shortcut icon on my desktop for iTunes. Why is this so complicated? I am only able to add to task bar. How do I add to desktop??

Posted on Dec 24, 2021 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 4:29 AM

Using the screenshot below as your guide:

• shrink all open programmes down so that you can see your desktop (note, shrink, not close. You do not need to close anything)
  • click on the (infamous) Windows Start button (1.) on your computer to open the All Programs menu
  • scroll down the alphabetical list of programmes to the iTunes folder icon and click on it to open it
  • click-and-drag the iTunes icon (2.) to an empty space on your desktop
  • now that you have the iTunes shortcut on your desktop, simply drag it to the position that you prefer

I think that the reason it's not obvious is because usually iTunes creates the desktop shortcut when you install or update it. So unless you told iTunes not to create a desktop shortcut at that time you would not normally have to do it yourself

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2021 4:29 AM in response to CAHCrete

Using the screenshot below as your guide:

• shrink all open programmes down so that you can see your desktop (note, shrink, not close. You do not need to close anything)
  • click on the (infamous) Windows Start button (1.) on your computer to open the All Programs menu
  • scroll down the alphabetical list of programmes to the iTunes folder icon and click on it to open it
  • click-and-drag the iTunes icon (2.) to an empty space on your desktop
  • now that you have the iTunes shortcut on your desktop, simply drag it to the position that you prefer

I think that the reason it's not obvious is because usually iTunes creates the desktop shortcut when you install or update it. So unless you told iTunes not to create a desktop shortcut at that time you would not normally have to do it yourself

Dec 27, 2021 1:56 PM in response to the fiend

iTunes starts just fine when I click on iTunes icon on taskbar. I can see iTunes in Start Programs just like your screenshot 2. I can click on it to open but it won’t drag to Desktop.

We are talking the same thing. I also tried to drag from taskbar up to desktop but that doesn’t work either.

It shouldn’t be this hard.

Dec 27, 2021 2:58 PM in response to CAHCrete

CAHCrete wrote:

It shouldn’t be this hard.

It isn't.

• you click but do not release the left mouse button on the iTunes icon and drag it. As you drag it you will see a small version of the "unavailable" icon (shown large, below) while it is anywhere that you cannot drop it:

This is why I suggested shrinking all your windows, so that it's easier to find an open space on the desktop to drop it.

Once the drag is anywhere that you can drop it, the icon changes to a small "pin & paper" with the word Link next to it. I cannot find the icon for that.

If that doesn't work, use the screenshot (and steps listed) below:

• Start/All Programs/iTunes Folder and then right-click the iTunes icon (1.)
    • on the pop-up context menu, left-click More (2.)
    • left-click on Open file location (3.). This will open the folder with the programme itself in it
    • in the folder with the programme, right-click the iTunes programme icon and select Create shortcut from the context menu. You will see a message window as shown in the screenshot below:

• answer Yes to the question "Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead?" and a shortcut will be created on your desktop

One of these methods must work.

Dec 27, 2021 12:41 PM in response to CAHCrete

CAHCrete wrote:

I also noticed that iTunes is no longer a folder under my programs.

Then how do you start iTunes? Are you saying that the iTunes Folder is not present on the (desktop's) Start/All Programs menu (as arrowed in the screenshot below)?

will not let me click and drag to create another shortcut

If the All Programs/iTunes is not present, then where are you attempting to click and drag from?

However with last iTunes software update the shortcut disappeared

Updates usually cause the Taskbar icon to stop working, but not the desktop shortcut. We are both talking about the same thing, aren't we?

Dec 27, 2021 11:55 AM in response to the fiend

Thank you for responding but this did not work for me. I had a shortcut that I created exactly as you described. However with last iTunes software update the shortcut disappeared and will not let me click and drag to create another shortcut.

It seems something has changed. I also noticed that iTunes is no longer a folder under my programs. I thought this is where the iTunes program (not music or photos just program) was stored on my hard drive. ITunes works on my PC but I prefer a shortcut in desktop vs just on taskbar.

Create desktop icon for iTunes on Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.