Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility does not show options for ExFAT

I am trying to format a 4TB external WD EasyStore drive in order to transfer files from my Mac to my friend's PC. Using Disk Utility, I have only the four options Apple File System formats, not the ExFat option.

Is there anything I can do?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Dec 24, 2021 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 6:56 AM

I am trying to format a 4TB external WD EasyStore drive in order to transfer files from my Mac to my friend's PC. Using Disk Utility, I have only the four options Apple File System formats, not the ExFat option.

Did you select the drive or the already formatted volume on the drive?

In Disk Utility, select Show All Devices from the View popup menu. Select the device from the list and Erase that.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2021 6:56 AM in response to ChrisKet

Did you select the drive or the already formatted volume on the drive?

In Disk Utility, select Show All Devices from the View popup menu. Select the device from the list and Erase that.

Dec 24, 2021 1:07 PM in response to ChrisKet

This says Monterey Disk Utility includes exFAT option.

File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

This says formatting a disk in exFAT on a PC and using it on a Mac only works with should not choose anything higher than 1024kb

exFAT mounting problem - Apple Community

This says cluster size of 128kb is best for compatibility.

There was recently a post in this forum with a Mac could/t read a exFAT disk formatted in exFAT on a PC

Disk Utility does not show options for ExFAT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.