Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I delete messages in my iCloud then will my current messages also delete??

I’m trying to free up storage on my phone. If I delete messages in iCloud then will my current conversations in messages also be deleted or only those that are on iCloud?

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 10:27 AM

If you use messages in iCloud, all of your messages are synced through it to all of your devices. Turn off messages in iCloud (Settings > Apple ID > iCloud) on a device and your messages will remain, they just will no longer sync. If you delete messages before turning off messages in iCloud, the messages will be deleted on all devices.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2021 10:27 AM in response to LeeLeeDep

If you use messages in iCloud, all of your messages are synced through it to all of your devices. Turn off messages in iCloud (Settings > Apple ID > iCloud) on a device and your messages will remain, they just will no longer sync. If you delete messages before turning off messages in iCloud, the messages will be deleted on all devices.

If I delete messages in my iCloud then will my current messages also delete??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.