Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I did the command option p r and I am still getting the same folder with a question mark

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 12:56 PM

Command P R is a PRAM/NVRAM reset, and that’s not usually related to a Mac with no bootable operating system.

Here is what Apple recommends doing, if the Mac shows nothing bootable:

If your Mac starts up to a question mark - Apple Support

6 replies

Dec 25, 2021 1:44 PM in response to Smilin-Brian

Smilin-Brian wrote:

That support document got me into an endless loop.

The Apple Genius told me that the Internet Recovery baked into the Mac was no longer supported by Apple.

That’s why I recommend to visit the Genius Bar because they have the tools that are not available to the general public to quickly solve the issue.

Have a great holiday and thanks for your contributions! 😉

A little history…

Recovery via Internet (whether macOS Recovery or Internet Recovery) is supported by Apple.

Here’s how to use it: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Built-in firmware support for Internet Recovery doesn’t exist on very old Macs, typically those available around and prior to Snow Leopard in 2009.

In middle-old-vintage Macs, installed software was used for Recovery Mode, and erasing that installed Recovery Mode software can render the Mac unbootable.

Starting with those middle-old-vintage Macs first available around Snow Leopard OS X 10.6 that were then upgraded to Lion OS X 10.7, those Macs had a so-called Recovery Mode, which was software installed on the disk that could contact Apple Servers. As mentioned, if that software got corrupted or got wiped, or if the Mac was previously reloaded in such a way to not have that software (re)installed as could sometimes happen, then the Mac wasn’t bootable without a second bootable device.

Starting around 2011, Macs became capable of performing Internet Recovery, which is a similar feature, but uses firmware to contact Apple Servers to download OS X or now macOS. If the installed storage got erased or corrupted or replaced or whatever, the Mac firmware could still contact Apple Servers and access and either repair or replace the erased or corrupted installation, including restoring local backups.

If you’re trying to recover from an erased or corrupted and older Mac (or from any Mac where you can’t or don’t want to depend on an Internet Recovery from macOS Recovery), then the use of another Mac to build a bootable installer can be useful. Or can be required. Here is: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If you’re trading in the Mac, that erased storage is probably not an issue. Particularly not if you had FileVault enabled.

Dec 25, 2021 1:20 PM in response to MrHoffman

That support document got me into an endless loop.

The Apple Genius told me that the Internet Recovery baked into the Mac was no longer supported by Apple.

That’s why I recommend to visit the Genius Bar because they have the tools that are not available to the general public to quickly solve the issue.

Have a great holiday and thanks for your contributions! 😉

Dec 25, 2021 2:01 PM in response to Smilin-Brian

Smilin-Brian wrote:

The Apple Genius told me that the Internet Recovery baked into my (now traded) 2017 iMac was no longer supported by Apple. 

Based on published materials from Apple, that Apple Genius appears to have been confused or incorrect, or the associated discussions were somehow misconstrued.

An iMac from 2017 has firmware support for reloading macOS. Coincidentally, I’ve worked with a iMac 5K 2017, and have used Recovery with it to restore one from backups for the user of that iMac.

I did the command option p r and I am still getting the same folder with a question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.