Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

For El Capitan: HOW to backup AND restore all mail and iTunes files in as less steps as possible?

For El Capitan: HOW to backup AND restore all mail and iTunes files in as less steps as possible?

i.e. are backups of "UserName>Library/iTunes" and

"UserName>Library>Application Support>Apple>Mail" enough?

Or do I need to backup other folders as well?

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 3:37 PM

7 replies

Dec 26, 2021 6:56 AM in response to DLWorldCitizen

El Capitan was released September 30, 2015.

In good conscience, am unable to validate the above method issued by the Users will perform as expected.

I can only Validate the previous offered suggestions will perform as expected.

It would appear the user has, possibly, overlooked the benefits of Time Machine Backup over the past 6 years.

That, or, the personal data has not been considered as important enough to protect against Natural Disasters or Mechanical

Failures of the computer.

Good computer practices involves a Rescue Plan.

Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

For addition purposes - two Tested Bootable Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Dec 26, 2021 3:49 AM in response to DLWorldCitizen

Thank you but Time Machine takes up far too much space, that's why I use EXTERNAL backups and NO, I do not want iCloud either.

It's far too cumbersome to write down ALL REASONS why I need to be able to backup iTunes and Mail separately… preferably as asked for.

If it is not possible what I asked for, please tell me.

Thank you and have a good '21 ending and a marvellous beginning of '22.

Dec 26, 2021 4:14 AM in response to DLWorldCitizen

Question presented " For El Capitan: HOW to backup AND restore all mail and iTunes files in as less steps as possible? "

In the context of the original question - that was answered.

Or

Manually Drag and Drop all the Categories used in iTunes to the destination drive. For emails - Export all the e-mail contained in Apple Mail to External Drive

Dec 26, 2021 4:42 AM in response to PRP_53

Dear P. Phillips,

I do not have your knowledge nor your experience, so is it possible to be more explicit?

Is what I wrote enough? I.e. the content of

"UserName>Library/iTunes" and

"UserName>Library>Application Support>Apple>Mail"?

If not, can you explain me what is meant by

1) all the Categories used in iTunes

and

2) for mail I need also all the folders, not just the mails, that's why I though "UserName>Library>Application Support>Apple>Mail" was enough. I'm I wrong?

Thank you for your time and answers,

Danny (from Belgium)

Dec 26, 2021 11:50 AM in response to PRP_53

What's the use of Time Machine if you've only one hard disk? If the had disk is badly broken, that option is worthless.

For me need a weekly or even monthly FULL backup is PERFECT for my needs… and I do this since 1984. That backup is indeed stored off-site and switched with an other ext. HD also offside.

Have a good week, nice end-of-year and fresh new start!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.