Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security Services excessive data usage

I have a new iPhone 13 Pro, and from the minute I began using it, a feature called Security Services began burning through data. I note there are already more than 70 posts on this subject. Please, can you tell me what, if any, solution appeared?

Frantic, and at wit's end!

D

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 2:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 7:30 AM

Eric_G1,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I've actually tried all the suggestions you offered, with no change in the behavior of the phone. However, I think I now know what is causing the problem.

The phone was hand-carried from the US to me at my home in Kenya. It seems that the Security Services feature is available there, but not here. I believe the iPhone tries incessantly to find the service, racking up cellular data charges at an unbelievable pace. More importantly, I've discovered that there is a work-around: keep cellular service off at all times.

At home, my iPhone operates on a modem, so cellular access is unnecessary. When out and about, I can use local business wi-fi's to handle any work I want to accomplish on the iPhone. While driving, we mustn't be using phones anyway, but in case of a breakdown or accident, the phone operates with or without cellular if airtime is topped up.

In short, then, I can live with the situation. What I would recommend is that Apple put a switch on the Security Services feature so that anyone bothered by the excessive data consumption can actually turn it off. Let's pray that something of that nature appears in the next iOS update!

Cheers, and thanks again!

Dena

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2021 7:30 AM in response to Eric_G1

Eric_G1,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I've actually tried all the suggestions you offered, with no change in the behavior of the phone. However, I think I now know what is causing the problem.

The phone was hand-carried from the US to me at my home in Kenya. It seems that the Security Services feature is available there, but not here. I believe the iPhone tries incessantly to find the service, racking up cellular data charges at an unbelievable pace. More importantly, I've discovered that there is a work-around: keep cellular service off at all times.

At home, my iPhone operates on a modem, so cellular access is unnecessary. When out and about, I can use local business wi-fi's to handle any work I want to accomplish on the iPhone. While driving, we mustn't be using phones anyway, but in case of a breakdown or accident, the phone operates with or without cellular if airtime is topped up.

In short, then, I can live with the situation. What I would recommend is that Apple put a switch on the Security Services feature so that anyone bothered by the excessive data consumption can actually turn it off. Let's pray that something of that nature appears in the next iOS update!

Cheers, and thanks again!

Dena

Dec 27, 2021 6:27 AM in response to denadale

Hello denadale,

We see you have a question regarding 'Security Services' on your iPhone using a lot of cellular data. We'd be happy to help.

First, ensure you're using the latest version of iOS on your new iPhone. Currently this would be iOS 15.2, and you can check for the installed version at Settings > General > About: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

You may also try restarting the device, which may help with odd issues that crop up: Restart your iPhone

If it persists, we'd recommend following up with Apple Support directly for a deeper investigation: Get Support

Cheers.

Security Services excessive data usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.