Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sim card

I have an iPad 6th generation I did a factory reset on it for a gift to my daughter and now when we turn it on it says must be updated before it will start up. I don’t have a SIM card and that’s what is required on iTunes to do an update. Do you have to have a SIM card to update the device? Also how would I get a SIM card without having to have service on it?

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 8:43 AM

No, you don't need a SIM card.

An iPad can be "Wifi only" or "Wifi+Cellular" and people owning the former model are able to update the device wirelessly (via wifi).

Unfortunately you didn't use the appropriate procedure, this one:-->What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

Disconnect your iPad from the computer and try to update it wirelessly.

Regards

Giulio

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2021 8:43 AM in response to Mirmar06

No, you don't need a SIM card.

An iPad can be "Wifi only" or "Wifi+Cellular" and people owning the former model are able to update the device wirelessly (via wifi).

Unfortunately you didn't use the appropriate procedure, this one:-->What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

Disconnect your iPad from the computer and try to update it wirelessly.

Regards

Giulio

Sim card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.