Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When using airplay from MacBook to tv, I have audio but no video

When using airplay from MacBook to tv, I have audio but no video. I can mirror with no problem, but as soon as I pick a video and hit play, the screen in black with just audio.

V655-G9,

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 7:15 PM

Ok, just to be clear streaming and mirroring, although seem similar, work differently.

When mirroring, as you know, your Mac will send its screen to your AirPlay-enabled TV. However, when you open an app to play a video from that same Mac, the Mac "switches" to using AirPlay streaming which will not allow protected content to be displayed on that stream. This is what Rudegar is referring to.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2021 7:15 PM in response to carol312

Ok, just to be clear streaming and mirroring, although seem similar, work differently.

When mirroring, as you know, your Mac will send its screen to your AirPlay-enabled TV. However, when you open an app to play a video from that same Mac, the Mac "switches" to using AirPlay streaming which will not allow protected content to be displayed on that stream. This is what Rudegar is referring to.

Dec 26, 2021 6:26 PM in response to carol312

Just to make sure we have all the information:

• Which exact model is your MacBook?
  • Based on where you posted, can we assume that it is running macOS Catalina?
  • Is this issue with streaming OR mirroring your notebook to this TV?
  • Are you using an Apple TV as the AirPlay "player" or is this TV AirPlay-enabled?
  • Is the content that you are trying send to the TV: 1) On the notebook, 2) On your local network, or 3) From the Internet?

When using airplay from MacBook to tv, I have audio but no video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.