Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Bootable drive displayed to re-install MAC OS

Trying to re-install MAC OS after erasing hard drive thru Disk Utility. It provides two options to reinstall A) Untitled and B) Update. OS will not install on either of those names. I don't see a Macintosh HD in the disk utility. Attached is what I see instead. I am stuck and would appreciate some guidance from experts. Mine is Intel based 15 inch Mac Book Pro. Thanks a lot

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 4:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 11:03 AM

It is unfortunate that Apple wants to forget about older systems and remove any references from their current documentation. Even allowing an archive of the older articles to exist would be useful.

You are trying to reinstall a very old OS which does not recognize the new disk layout and file systems used by later versions of macOS. If you are going to reinstall this much older version of macOS, then you will need to erase the whole physical drive as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled). In your photo you will need to click on the item on the left pane listed as "Apple SSD SM0...". If you are booted into a macOS installer for 10.6 to 10.10, then instead of "erasing" the SSD you will need to partition and format the SSD using the instructions in this article:

https://www.owcdigital.com/assets/support/support-formatting-and-migration/Mac_Formatting_6-10.pdf

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2021 11:03 AM in response to IQBYD

It is unfortunate that Apple wants to forget about older systems and remove any references from their current documentation. Even allowing an archive of the older articles to exist would be useful.

You are trying to reinstall a very old OS which does not recognize the new disk layout and file systems used by later versions of macOS. If you are going to reinstall this much older version of macOS, then you will need to erase the whole physical drive as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled). In your photo you will need to click on the item on the left pane listed as "Apple SSD SM0...". If you are booted into a macOS installer for 10.6 to 10.10, then instead of "erasing" the SSD you will need to partition and format the SSD using the instructions in this article:

https://www.owcdigital.com/assets/support/support-formatting-and-migration/Mac_Formatting_6-10.pdf

No Bootable drive displayed to re-install MAC OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.