Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flashing question mark

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro with a damaged screen finally figured out how to mirror it with a micro dp and closing the screen fast before bootup, and now I’m getting a flashing folder with a question mark. Can anyone help getting into startup manager?

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 5:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 9:11 PM

You are in a very tough situation and I believe that you are aware of it. The folder with a question mark means that your MacBook Pro cannot find the operating system or the drive that holds the operating system is no longer available. There is more information here ➔ If your Mac Starts up to a Question Mark.

In the link above, you will be guided through a few troubleshooting steps (Reset SMC and PRAM/NRRAM etc) however I am not sure whether you will be able to complete those steps without anything on your internal screen. Give it a shot. Good Luck.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2021 9:11 PM in response to Blb535

You are in a very tough situation and I believe that you are aware of it. The folder with a question mark means that your MacBook Pro cannot find the operating system or the drive that holds the operating system is no longer available. There is more information here ➔ If your Mac Starts up to a Question Mark.

In the link above, you will be guided through a few troubleshooting steps (Reset SMC and PRAM/NRRAM etc) however I am not sure whether you will be able to complete those steps without anything on your internal screen. Give it a shot. Good Luck.

Axel F.

Flashing question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.