Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon EOS Utility 3 with M1 Chip, Tethering with M1 Chip.

I recently bought the new 2021 Macbook Pro with M1 chip. I am trying to use Canon EOS Utility 3 and even though I have downloaded Rosetta to use for Slack. My EOS Utility 3 still does not work-how can I make it work? I have tried support with Canon, BH Photo, and research on my own and coming up empty-handed. Thank you for your help!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 5:32 PM

Below is the version of the EOS Utility 3 which runs on my Mac mini (2018). Try launching the program directly (Rosetta 2 should translate the program on its first launch).

As a workaround, as you are probably aware, you can use an SD card reader to transfer the photos from the camera to the Mac. A USB 3.0 card reader is quite fast even for transferring RAW files (into DPP for example).

- Pie Lover

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2021 5:32 PM in response to LizWaterson

Below is the version of the EOS Utility 3 which runs on my Mac mini (2018). Try launching the program directly (Rosetta 2 should translate the program on its first launch).

As a workaround, as you are probably aware, you can use an SD card reader to transfer the photos from the camera to the Mac. A USB 3.0 card reader is quite fast even for transferring RAW files (into DPP for example).

- Pie Lover

Dec 29, 2021 12:01 PM in response to LizWaterson

After much research, I found someone else who had the same issue and it turned out you can update your firmware on your Canon Camera which works with the new M1 Chip! There is a download on Canon's website for your specific camera's firmware and a youtube video on how to update the firmware. It took me about 15 minutes and it all works smoothly now!

Feb 11, 2022 10:03 PM in response to LizWaterson

As new Macs and MacOS versions come out, these camera utilities from the manufacturer often won't work at first and then you have to wait for an update.

Professionals almost all use camera card readers to transfer image files. You can get a much faster interface (USB-C or Thunderbolt) and another advantage is that you don't depend on the camera battery during the copy, which can take a while.

Canon EOS Utility 3 with M1 Chip, Tethering with M1 Chip.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.