Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What type of connectors are suggested to connect USB-A to USB 3 and USB Thunderbolt/USB 4 ports? Please be specific. Thank you.

What type of connectors are suggested to connect USB-A to USB 3 and USB Thunderbolt/USB 4 ports? Please be specific. Thank you.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 2:03 PM

Thunderbolt/USB4 ports use USB C connectors and will work with all versions of USB implementations, from USB4 down to USB 1.0.

To make the USB C connector compatible with cables that don’t have USB C on either end, use something like this https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter

USB-A ports use the regular USB connector and will work USB 3.2 all the way down to USB 1.0.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2021 2:03 PM in response to Bob-Pat

Thunderbolt/USB4 ports use USB C connectors and will work with all versions of USB implementations, from USB4 down to USB 1.0.

To make the USB C connector compatible with cables that don’t have USB C on either end, use something like this https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter

USB-A ports use the regular USB connector and will work USB 3.2 all the way down to USB 1.0.

Dec 27, 2021 2:22 PM in response to John Whittaker

USB terms that end with letters are connectors. They have nothing to do speeds/implementations. USB-A, USB-C, and earlier, USB-B all refer to connectors.

USB terms that end with numbers refer to implementations that include things like speed, power etc. So, USB4 is faster than 3 which is faster than 2 etc.

In the case of USB4 and only USB4, the reference is to both implementation and connector. USB4 requires USB C connectors, otherwise it ain’t USB4.

All this clearly leaves room for confusion (to the sheer delight of marketing departments everywhere).

Dec 27, 2021 3:42 PM in response to hcsitas

Thank you for your reply. I think I didn't clearly state my situation. I am phasing-out my 2010 iMac, which has a few USB-A ports with devices directly connected to those ports, via USB-A cables (large). My new iMac 24" has two USB 3 ports and two USB 4/Thunderbolt ports (small). Where can I find an adapter to connect the USB-A cables (large) to the USB 3 and USB 4 ports (small)? I have search for an adapter, but the best I can come up with is USB-C adapters. Or am I think wrong on this? I hope I didn't add to the confusion.

Dec 27, 2021 4:55 PM in response to Bob-Pat

You need the Apple USB-C to USB adapter that hcsitas posted in his first reply.

Or a similar aftermarket USB-C to USB adapter. Just be aware that not all aftermarket adapters play well with some devices.

for example, the > https://www.target.com/p/philips-6-34-usb-c-to-usb-3-1-female-adapter-black/-/A-53245266 is an aftermarket adapter that I know works.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.