Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I revitalize my beloved iPod?

My problem concerns a real iPod (Classic, clickwheel, 7th gen) - not some phoneless touch device. How can an iPod with a new harddisk be connected and reset? (Harddisk was gone, i changed it.)

iPod Classic

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 12:56 PM

The hard drive has probably failed. See If you see a red X icon on your iPod classic or iPod nano (5th generation or earlier) - Apple Support (archived copy). See iPod Service Pricing - Apple Support. You might want to shop around and/or consider an SD conversion kit to replace the failed drive.

tt2

7 replies

Jan 8, 2022 6:09 AM in response to grebnnoer_58

grebnnoer_58 wrote:

But, on the other hand, this would create the problem of not being able to use my diverse docking stations and connecting devices in my cars, my office and at home – since these can not connect to the lightning connector ... – I'm really not sure what to do ..)

Search online for an adaptor. I simply searched using the term 30 pin connector to lightning and found one on eBay as well as other sites. In fact, by changing the search to Lightning to 30 Pin Adapter, I found a short-cable type adaptor on Amazon UK. Here's a picture:

The short-cable type shown above is preferable because the iPod cannot strain the 30-pin dock connector on your docks, whereas the one-piece block type will also have the weight of the iPod on the dock connector, which will cause something to break very easily and quickly.

Dec 28, 2021 12:25 PM in response to turingtest2

My Macbook is running on Big Sur.

My (old) MacPro is running on ElCapitan.

Both don't mount the iPod as a volume (or dont show them as a device in ITunes resp.). – Also Disk Utility doesn't show iPod's HD ...

When I connect the iPod, its display (after short showing the apple) shows a red circle with a cross and reads "www.apple.com/support/ipod". But, when opening this URL, it is transformed into another – and on this, there is absolutely no information about iPod classic. Seemingly, they have stopped support – at least in Germany – because they rather want to sell new devices ...

(But up to now, there is no substitute for iPod classic with enough storing capacity to hold my collection (which is spread over two 160GB-iPods ... So, I try to keep my classics running as long as possible – what else can I do?)

Jan 5, 2022 5:28 AM in response to turingtest2

Oh - thank you for sharing the archived copy! – Meanwhile I tried to put the iPod into Disk mode. – But the result was the same: the red X came up and nothing else happened ...

So – is there any possibility to check if it is really the new hard disk that is faulty – or some other thing that doesn't work?

In other words: Is there a way to check the function of the HD outside the iPod? – e.g. is there any use in trying to put the supposed faulty HD into my other 160GB iPod classic to see if it runs there?

(I think it is not worthwhile to use apple's 299 $ service offer to have the device replaced with a new/refurbished one (and in addition, I'd have to pay for S/H from Germany). I think, for that price i will get a new 256 GB iPod Touch which will solve the problem of my 160 GB classic having too little memory. – But, on the other hand, this would create the problem of not being able to use my diverse docking stations and connecting devices in my cars, my office and at home – since these can not connect to the lightning connector ... – I'm really not sure what to do ..)

Jan 5, 2022 6:20 AM in response to grebnnoer_58

It is most likely to be the drive, although there is a slim chance that the drive cable has been dislodged. You can try opening the device and reseating the drive cable, or test the drive in another case should you have one. Probably best to move on if you can. Apple no longer actively support the classic. I stopped using mine not long after I switched to iPhone.

tt2

Jan 11, 2022 4:14 AM in response to the fiend

Thanks for the hint. – Yes, I know these adaptors – but don't like them. Besides from destroying the look of an upmaket sounddock if the iPod loosely hangs around instead of neatly being hold in the dock – any adaptor cable increases the probability of line of connector faults; especially in automotive use. – Nope, don't like this make-shift solution ... And, as you pointed out, the one-block solution is even worse ...

So, than i have to bite the bullet and open both my iPod again, try to interchange the hard disks and see what happens. (Oh, how i hate this fiddling around with these tiny flat cables ... :-( )

How can I revitalize my beloved iPod?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.