Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to avoid spam text

I get a lot of spam text messages. I never click on the links in them, I’ve often blocked the number but that doesn’t work, they just seem to send from other numbers. What can I do to stop or lessen these? They are very annoying.

iPhone 11

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 8:04 PM

Filtering messages from unknown senders turns off iMessage notifications from senders who aren’t in your contacts and sorts the messages into the Unknown Senders tab in the Messages list.

1. Go to Settings  > Messages.
  2. Turn on Filter Unknown Senders.

Note: You canʼt open any links in a message from an unknown sender until you add the sender to your contacts or reply to the message.

That might make things less annoying for you otherwise, report spam or junk messages you receive with SMS or MMS, contact your carrier and ask them to take your number off of the telemarketer list and they will do it for you or send you a form to fill out.

Hope this helps!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2021 8:04 PM in response to LoomKnitDiva

Filtering messages from unknown senders turns off iMessage notifications from senders who aren’t in your contacts and sorts the messages into the Unknown Senders tab in the Messages list.

1. Go to Settings  > Messages.
  2. Turn on Filter Unknown Senders.

Note: You canʼt open any links in a message from an unknown sender until you add the sender to your contacts or reply to the message.

That might make things less annoying for you otherwise, report spam or junk messages you receive with SMS or MMS, contact your carrier and ask them to take your number off of the telemarketer list and they will do it for you or send you a form to fill out.

Hope this helps!

Dec 27, 2021 8:13 PM in response to LoomKnitDiva

LoomKnitDiva Said:

"how to avoid spam text: I get a lot of spam text messages. I never click on the links in them, I’ve often blocked the number but that doesn’t work, they just seem to send from other numbers. What can I do to stop or lessen these? They are very annoying."

-------

Blocking This:

Consider using: Malwarebytes Mobile Securit‪y. Get it in the App Storehttps://apps.apple.com/us/app/malwarebytes-mobile-security/id1327105431. The free version helps filter junk like this. The pay version isn't required, but, with it you can report such messages to Malwarebytes so that they can know what is going on.

Dec 27, 2021 8:11 PM in response to LoomKnitDiva

There is "do not call" list you can add your number to. But be warned that if you start "sending a message to a number" to get free trials of anything (online drugs, fitness video subscriptions) you are explicitly giving those people permission to share your number with their "affiliates" for messages and the "do not call" is bypassed.

how to avoid spam text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.