Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing photo library to new computer

I have followed numerous directions to do this - I think I successfully exported the photo library to an external drive but when I try to import it to the new MBP I get the message that I can't import some of the files (none are listed), when I click OK nothing happens. When I eject the external drive there are no new photos at all on the new MBP!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 5:25 AM

Hi

Do you already have photos on the new computer?

If not, then all you have to do is drag the library from the external drive into your pictures folder, and open it. If there is already an empty library in pictures with the same name, then rename it first.

Alternatively if you already have pictures in the library of the new mac, copy the old one into the pictures folder again (you might need to rename the old one first this time), open it using photos (hold down the option key while starting photos and select it) and it will be upgraded for the latest version.

Then when you open your current library you should be able to import it.

However, if you only have a few photos in the new library, you might be better off importing that (new) library into the converted library so you retain all your organisation (albums, keywords etc that won't transfer if you do it the other way around)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2021 5:25 AM in response to Susan Whitsell

Hi

Do you already have photos on the new computer?

If not, then all you have to do is drag the library from the external drive into your pictures folder, and open it. If there is already an empty library in pictures with the same name, then rename it first.

Alternatively if you already have pictures in the library of the new mac, copy the old one into the pictures folder again (you might need to rename the old one first this time), open it using photos (hold down the option key while starting photos and select it) and it will be upgraded for the latest version.

Then when you open your current library you should be able to import it.

However, if you only have a few photos in the new library, you might be better off importing that (new) library into the converted library so you retain all your organisation (albums, keywords etc that won't transfer if you do it the other way around)

importing photo library to new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.