You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant

Our wonderful son gifted us with a brand new iMac! I am trying to migrate files from a PC but the Migration Assistant program keeps saying "An error occurred while preparing your information for transfer". I have turned off anti-virus & downloaded the correct version of MA as directed by Apple support to the same result. I have a backup of the PC on Carbonite, but the process of downloading files is tedious! I would much prefer to connect with PC via ethernet cable and transfer files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 5:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 7:50 AM

Yes, precisely. Connect the External Hard Disk to the iMac (use a USB cable) which may require an adapter depending on if the iMac is a 24" or 27" iMac. If it's a 24" you will need a USB adapter (available on Amazon for about $10) to connect. Also, the External Hard Disk is likely formatted so you can read with the iMac but not write to it.

Finally, it is wise to buy a high quality External Hard Disk such as a OWC Mercury Elite Pro and use that as your backup External Hard Disk using Time Machine. If you are not familiar with Time Machine please read Back up your Mac with Time Machine to learn more about it.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 28, 2021 7:50 AM in response to Bfuss3278

Yes, precisely. Connect the External Hard Disk to the iMac (use a USB cable) which may require an adapter depending on if the iMac is a 24" or 27" iMac. If it's a 24" you will need a USB adapter (available on Amazon for about $10) to connect. Also, the External Hard Disk is likely formatted so you can read with the iMac but not write to it.

Finally, it is wise to buy a high quality External Hard Disk such as a OWC Mercury Elite Pro and use that as your backup External Hard Disk using Time Machine. If you are not familiar with Time Machine please read Back up your Mac with Time Machine to learn more about it.

Dec 28, 2021 7:16 AM in response to Bfuss3278

Also, do not use Wi-Fi to ever run MA it stalls almost every time. Using an Ethernet cable is okay however moving your important data to an external HD and then copy and paste to the Mac is much easier. You can learn some tricks too, for example if you put all of. your photographs in one folder and then drag that folder to the Photos app on the iMac all the photos will be imported automatically into the Photos app and then you can begin to organize them.

Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.