Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro M1 Max HDMI outputting stuttered sound.

MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Max, Monterey

I have plugged my MacBook into my TV via HDMI, and the sound is stuttered and broken.

I reduced the audio output bit-rate down to the minimum, and it made no improvement.

The laptop is one week out of the box, so a damaged port seems highly unlikely.

Would appreciate any advice in solving this.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 8:37 AM

Monterey 12.0.1

The HDMI device is receiving audio, but the audio is stuttered and rapidly skipping.

I have tried multiple HDMI cables and found no improvement.

I haven't yet tested with a different device.

This HDMI device works absolutely fine with my 2012 MacBook Pro.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2021 8:37 AM in response to karina184

Monterey 12.0.1

The HDMI device is receiving audio, but the audio is stuttered and rapidly skipping.

I have tried multiple HDMI cables and found no improvement.

I haven't yet tested with a different device.

This HDMI device works absolutely fine with my 2012 MacBook Pro.

Jan 19, 2022 3:13 PM in response to zsht

Just got my new Macbook Pro M1 16" and I am also having this issue. It's super frustrating. I tried getting it to work on my monitor (with built-in audio), and my tv. I tried being plugged into my built-in HDMI port, and a usb-c adapter that comes with an HDMI port. And I tried 3 different HDMI cords. Audio output constantly stutters and is distorted. Not sure if this is a hardware issue with the new MacBook Pros or a software issue with macOS Monterey. Sounds like it's a software issue though.

Edit: It looks like a temporary fix until an update is released is to plug in the HDMI cable and have the audio output set to the TV/monitor, then restart your Mac (with the cable still plugged in) and when it reboots the sound should play without stuttering.

Jan 2, 2022 5:58 PM in response to ryane77

I don't know if anyone has found a solution, but I've had the same problem on my M1 MBP since I've upgraded to Monterey. Worked fine in Big Sur, now every HDMI TV or monitor I plug into constantly stutters. The app doesn't matter, it happens in all of them. I've also tried multiple dongles (the official Apple usb c + usb a + hdmi one, and an Anker.)

Seems to be a Monterey bug.

Dec 29, 2021 10:40 AM in response to zsht

Hello ZSHT,

It sounds like you are experiencing audio issues after connecting your Mac to your TV using an HDMI cable. We understand how important this is to you and we are here to help.

These article should be able to provide some guidance:

Use your TV as a display with Mac

Connect to HDMI from your Mac

Specifically the section titled "If your HDMI device isn't receiving audio."

If the issue persists, can you provide a few more details? Are you able to test with another HDMI cable? Can you test with another TV? Also, which macOS version do you currently have installed?

Cheers!

MacBook Pro M1 Max HDMI outputting stuttered sound.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.