Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacement Graphics card

I have an old MacBook Pro and I’ve been told the graphics card needs replacing. Can I get this repaired through apple?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 2:31 AM

Since your Mac is obsolete (Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support), any repairs would not be done with Apple genuine parts, and you certainly don't want that!

As your MacBook Pro is old, it is best to replace it. Your Mac has not received a software upgrade for quite some time and therefore is not as secure, it is no longer supported, and any other component could fail at any moment.

Here is the current Mac product lineup: Mac - Apple.

Apple also has refurbished Mac computers: Refurbished Mac - Apple.

Cheers,

Jack

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2021 2:31 AM in response to Hans1796

Since your Mac is obsolete (Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support), any repairs would not be done with Apple genuine parts, and you certainly don't want that!

As your MacBook Pro is old, it is best to replace it. Your Mac has not received a software upgrade for quite some time and therefore is not as secure, it is no longer supported, and any other component could fail at any moment.

Here is the current Mac product lineup: Mac - Apple.

Apple also has refurbished Mac computers: Refurbished Mac - Apple.

Cheers,

Jack

Dec 28, 2021 3:51 PM in response to steve359

Thanks Steve,

The computer is around 10+years old, so definitely no service if that’s what you mean. The guy in my local repair shop said the graphics card would cost too much to replace so I’d be better to buy a new one. I’d prefer to keep this one going. It’s been fabulous and I’m not sure they build them as well as they used to.

Dec 29, 2021 3:03 AM in response to Hans1796

I could have sworn another reply from me was posted, but ... so try again ...

I upgraded to a 2019 to keep my 2011 that can still perform usable SL-capable tasks working. Your old warhorse apparently served you well.

To reuse information on your old system use this enclosure https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MOTGS3U3/ from OWC after you extract the old HDD/SSD. OWC can help you with instructions to extract it. Use the enclosure in the future to swap any number of backup drives.

Replacement Graphics card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.