Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Green dots in videos and pictures

I just came from a Samsung Note to the Apple IPhone 13 Pro Max. I made the change specifically for a better camera. However, when I use my camera to record videos in any light level I have floating green dots. From my research, I understand they are called lens flares and are more common when taking pictures in direct light. However, I see them in all light levels, indoors and out. My Samsung never did this. How do I get rid of them? Is there a setting in the phone I can use, especially for videos, to eliminate them? I don't want to go back to Samsung if I don't have to but I need to be able to take good, clear videos.

Thank you for your help

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 6:16 PM

This link has examples from a large variety of phones and cameras that demonstrate lens flare, including some Samsungs, and also $10,000 and up professional cameras→iPhone Camera Lens Flare and Reflections - Apple Community

Lens flare is an artifact of having a light source either in the photo itself or slightly off to the side, but still striking the lens directly. All cameras with compound lenses (which means any camera that costs more than about $20) are susceptible to lens flare.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2021 6:16 PM in response to CLA_Consulting

This link has examples from a large variety of phones and cameras that demonstrate lens flare, including some Samsungs, and also $10,000 and up professional cameras→iPhone Camera Lens Flare and Reflections - Apple Community

Lens flare is an artifact of having a light source either in the photo itself or slightly off to the side, but still striking the lens directly. All cameras with compound lenses (which means any camera that costs more than about $20) are susceptible to lens flare.

Dec 28, 2021 6:11 PM in response to CLA_Consulting

You are correct, its lens flare. No, there is no setting to eliminate them, this is a physical limitation of the lens.

Lens manufactures use coatings on the lens to reduce the flare. It's hard to see on a tiny lens on the phone but if you look at a regular size camera, you will notice a green or reddish tint to the lens. That is the coating. I think Apple reduced the coating on the lenses manufactured for the iPhone 13 as many people are reporting it to be worse on the 13's.

What is lens flare?

https://photographylife.com/what-is-ghosting-and-flare#:~:text=Lens%20flare%20occurs%20when%20a,being%20present%20in%20the%20image.

Green dots in videos and pictures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.