Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

internet accounts missing after upgrade from El Capitan to Catalina

I have carried out an upgrade from El Capitan (10.11.6) to Catalina (10.15.7) and noticed that when I loaded Mail it didn't do the usual "Mail is upgrading database" but presented me with the "Choose a Mail account provider" window.

Then I noticed that there were no email accounts or inboxes shown but the Flagged items showed the number of emails.

Looking in System Preferences Internet accounts there are no accounts setup.

What's the sensible way to get this back working again with all of the emails and accounts setup correctly and keeping the Flagged items?

I have a Time Machine backup I could use to restore back to El Capitan if needed.

Cheers

Mark

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 3:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 7:03 AM

Hey bigdoubleya,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand you upgraded macOS and your internet accounts seem to have disappeared. Let's help.

You could consider restoring from a Time Machine backup, but why not just add the internet accounts back on? Are you having an issue when you try adding the accounts back? Use your internet accounts on Mac

Best regards.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2021 7:03 AM in response to bigdoubleya

Hey bigdoubleya,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand you upgraded macOS and your internet accounts seem to have disappeared. Let's help.

You could consider restoring from a Time Machine backup, but why not just add the internet accounts back on? Are you having an issue when you try adding the accounts back? Use your internet accounts on Mac

Best regards.

Dec 31, 2021 3:20 AM in response to bigdoubleya

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Dec 31, 2021 1:41 AM in response to Sharon_419

Thanks for the reply, I’m concerned about a couple of things with adding the Internet accounts,.

I don’t want to loose the flags on the emails and I don’t know if they will be lost or not.

More importantly there is over 70Gb of email stored in the Library and again I don’t know if that will be overwritten or ignored, the problem here is that the SSD in the MacBook Pro is almost completely full.

Do you have any thoughts on these concerns?

Cheers

Mark

internet accounts missing after upgrade from El Capitan to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.