Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I secure an insecure network

This is And unsecured network how do I make it secure on my phone

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 11:38 AM

If the wi-fi network you are trying to connect to, such as a public wi-fi at a library or Starbucks, etc., you cannot secure it. The network belongs to someone else, and you cannot control it. The warning is for your peace of mind to decide whether or not you want to connect to it for what you wish to do online. Harmless web browsing is not a problem on public wi-fi, but I would not do any banking or shopping on that network.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2021 11:38 AM in response to Mikim21

If the wi-fi network you are trying to connect to, such as a public wi-fi at a library or Starbucks, etc., you cannot secure it. The network belongs to someone else, and you cannot control it. The warning is for your peace of mind to decide whether or not you want to connect to it for what you wish to do online. Harmless web browsing is not a problem on public wi-fi, but I would not do any banking or shopping on that network.

Dec 29, 2021 11:46 AM in response to Mikim21

Mikim21 Said:

"How can I secure an insecure network: This is And unsecured network how do I make it secure on my phone"

-------

Weak Security:

Encryption is the Culprit:

The device is getting this message because the router is using WPA2 for their encryption protocol, which is no longer secure. So, you have to either reconfigure the router's settings to be using WPA3, or upgrade to a new router that supports WPA3. Older devices may not support WPA3. So, your router would have to have WPA2/WPA3 open for use.

Any Old Devices:

For Thought: A much older device, it may no longer be able to be as secure. So, take this as a good reason to upgrade to a much more recent model.

Dec 29, 2021 5:19 PM in response to TheLittles

Understand there is a difference between the Weak Security message you are referring to and the unsecured network the OP is referring to. An unsecured network is a public network like McDonald's or a public library, or Starbucks, where when you go to connect, you see it does not have a lock icon present. It does not require a password to join. A Weak Security network will still have a password requirement, it is just not the recommended security setting for an iOS device. While your solution will do well for a home network the OP has control over, it won't for an unsecured public network.

How can I secure an insecure network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.