Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot text certain contacts from iPad Pro

My devices: iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

My wife’s device: iPhone 11

All devices are running the latest iOS updates. We both have the same carrier (Verizon)

I have my iPad and my iPhone paired and on the same local network. I can make and receive phone calls on my iPad using my iPhone. I can also send and receive text messages on the iPad through the iPhone to *ALMOST* everybody.

Just recently - I suddenly cannot send a text message to my wife’s iPhone. I used to do this all the time. Now, I get a cryptic message that just says “NOT DELIVERED” and gives me a retry option (which always fails to send). It is just her. I can text other people just fine.

I don’t have a large circle of friends so I can’t say for certain that she’s the only person in the WORLD I can’t text. But there are 4 or 5 others that I regularly text without problems. I don’t know what devices they are using to read/send texts but a couple I do know have iPhones.

And the problem is just on my iPad, I can text her direct from my iPhone just fine.

Any ideas?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 6:14 PM

You indirectly solved my problem. I did not know about the blue vs. red color meanings on messages. Once you mentioned that they should be blue (iMessage), I asked the wife if she turned off her iMessaging recently. She did because she thought that would solve some other problem she was having (totally unrelated).

I had her turn it back on and now it is working fine again.

Thanks for your help on this.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2021 6:14 PM in response to sberman

You indirectly solved my problem. I did not know about the blue vs. red color meanings on messages. Once you mentioned that they should be blue (iMessage), I asked the wife if she turned off her iMessaging recently. She did because she thought that would solve some other problem she was having (totally unrelated).

I had her turn it back on and now it is working fine again.

Thanks for your help on this.

Dec 29, 2021 1:44 PM in response to Williammadonna

Might you and your wife be sharing an Apple ID? If so, stop doing that immediately.

The person acquiring the new Apple ID must thoroughly cleanse her/his Apple device(s) as follows:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Then “move in” using that new Apple ID.

Later, if you wish:

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Cannot text certain contacts from iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.