Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my phone say there is an error and it needs to be updated? I can’t make or receive calls

I can’t call or receive calls

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 8:01 AM

2 replies

Dec 30, 2021 8:03 AM in response to nesha33

Recently, some iPhone users have feedback after the iOS 12 update, their iPhone received the error message "Mobile Data Update Failed - Your iPhone cannot make and receive calls or access mobile data until it has been updated". It seems that the cellular network provider is not compatible with iPhone carrier settings.

1. Manually update the carrier update

Usually the carrier update will auto pop-up on your iPhone, but we still can manually update the carrier setting on iPhone. Go to iPhone Settings -> General -> About. If a update is available for your iPhone, you will see the carrier settings update window. Tap the Update button to install the new carrier update.

And you can find the Apple carrier-support in different country or region here (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204039), or contact your carrier to make sure your account is active and in good standing.

2. Restart iPhone

For iPhone X and later, press and hold the Side button and either volume button until the slider appears. Drag the slider to turn your device completely off. After your device turns off, press and hold the Side button again

For iPhone 8 or earlier, press and hold the Top (or Side) button until the slider appears. Drag the slider to turn your device completely off. After your device turns off, press and hold the Top (or Side) button again until you see the Apple logo.

3. Reset Network Settings

Go to iPhone Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. Enter the iPhone passcode.

4. Take out the SIM card and put it back in

To pop open the iPhone SIM tray , insert a paper clip or a SIM-eject tool into the hole beside the tray. Push in, towards the iPhone, the SIM tray will eject from the iPhone. After you remove your SIM card from the tray, Place the SIM card into the tray, and insert the tray into the device completely and in the same orientation that you removed it.

5. Apple provide the repair program for "No service" issue for iPhone 7 for free

Because of a component that has failed on the main logic board on a small percentage of iPhone 7 devices, Apple will repair your device, free of charge. This program only applies to iPhone 7. If the model number of of your iPhone 7 is A1660, A1780, A1779, it may be eligible for this repair program. And You can find the model number on the back of your iPhone 7. Learn more about this program here(https://www.apple.com/support/iphone-7-no-service/)

Why does my phone say there is an error and it needs to be updated? I can’t make or receive calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.