Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Music Library Not Syncing Correctly Between Mac and Mobile Devices

I'm having an issue with iCloud Music Library not considering my Mac library the "master" music library, and thus not syncing anything I do on my Mac with my mobile devices. If I add something to a playlist on my Mac, it doesn't reflect on my phone, BUT if I add something to a playlist on my phone it reflects that on my Mac. If I create a new playlist on my Mac, it won't show up on my phone, and if I select "Update Cloud Library," it deletes the playlist on my Mac to reflect that fact that the playlist doesn't exist on my phone.

I've already tried logging out/in of iCloud several times, turned off/on sync library on all devices, and deauthorized/reauthorized my computer, but nothing has fixed it. While some might not consider it a big deal to use the iPhone as the "master" library, I still rip CDs on occasion so that won't work for me.

Here are my technical details:

Apple Music Subscriber

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)

macOS Monterey 12.1

iPhone 11 Pro Max

iOS 15.2

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 3:14 PM

I have also had very similar (I hold back from saying the same exact) problem. I also assumed that the library on my iMac would rule the cloud. Not so. I would repeated make changes — playlist contents, playlist folder organization, and so one, meaning to update the 'master' copy on iCloud. No way, no chance. Just like you reported, Choosing the File-> Library-> Update Cloud Library menu item, made things runs backward. Instead of updating iCloud, this option runs in reverse and updates the local library to 'match' what is in iCloud. Like you, discovered that when I created a playlist on an iPhone, *then* it *did* appear in iCloud. it was like, the iPhone rules and the MacOS Music program takes its orders from …. Where? This is a major fail point in my estimation because, there are lot of things you simply cannot do on the phone. Playlist folders are great, but you can't create them on iPhone *or* put playlists into [move] playlist folders on the phone. Maybe there is some [non obvious, at least to me way to do this? Creating smart playlists and managing folders is completely beyond the realm of the iOS Music app. Taking this as a given (that is, it’s right until some helpful person proves it otherwise), then why oh why Apple, would you make it the menu function File-> Library-> Update Cloud Library not actually work. If it *does* do it is supposed to, then it is grossly mislabeled.

So I following some vague hints with some skepticism that this is what should work, I disabled the sync to iCloud option on iMac, logged out of iCloud, [ a much bigger deal, imo, pretty much disabling my iMac] logged all devices out of iCloud — a major pain — btw, rebooted the iMac, and turned off my iPhone and iPad — just to be sure — they were rendered clueless. Then, restarted the iMac, only, logged back into iCloud, started the Music app [all other devices were off at this point] then toggled the Music “sync to iCloud option”. Then I could make changes and the update to iCloud option worked briefly. I say briefly because after restarting the iPhone and iPad, iMac Music app was no longer the ‘master’ of the iCloud Music library. 

TL;DR Music app on MacOS cannot update iCloud Music library if any iOS devices are logged into the same Apple ID/iCloud/Music account/library. In that case, MacOS Music app option to update the iCloud library, does not work. This situation is effective with Monterey 12.1 and I wish it were not so. Please help me by pointing out a less drastic ‘workaround’ then the one I discovered. I would appreciate that so much. I am working on a project and for the time being, my work around is to ditch us of the cloud library all together. That work around is way too drastic and time consuming for more frequent use

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2021 3:14 PM in response to cbunag

I have also had very similar (I hold back from saying the same exact) problem. I also assumed that the library on my iMac would rule the cloud. Not so. I would repeated make changes — playlist contents, playlist folder organization, and so one, meaning to update the 'master' copy on iCloud. No way, no chance. Just like you reported, Choosing the File-> Library-> Update Cloud Library menu item, made things runs backward. Instead of updating iCloud, this option runs in reverse and updates the local library to 'match' what is in iCloud. Like you, discovered that when I created a playlist on an iPhone, *then* it *did* appear in iCloud. it was like, the iPhone rules and the MacOS Music program takes its orders from …. Where? This is a major fail point in my estimation because, there are lot of things you simply cannot do on the phone. Playlist folders are great, but you can't create them on iPhone *or* put playlists into [move] playlist folders on the phone. Maybe there is some [non obvious, at least to me way to do this? Creating smart playlists and managing folders is completely beyond the realm of the iOS Music app. Taking this as a given (that is, it’s right until some helpful person proves it otherwise), then why oh why Apple, would you make it the menu function File-> Library-> Update Cloud Library not actually work. If it *does* do it is supposed to, then it is grossly mislabeled.

So I following some vague hints with some skepticism that this is what should work, I disabled the sync to iCloud option on iMac, logged out of iCloud, [ a much bigger deal, imo, pretty much disabling my iMac] logged all devices out of iCloud — a major pain — btw, rebooted the iMac, and turned off my iPhone and iPad — just to be sure — they were rendered clueless. Then, restarted the iMac, only, logged back into iCloud, started the Music app [all other devices were off at this point] then toggled the Music “sync to iCloud option”. Then I could make changes and the update to iCloud option worked briefly. I say briefly because after restarting the iPhone and iPad, iMac Music app was no longer the ‘master’ of the iCloud Music library. 

TL;DR Music app on MacOS cannot update iCloud Music library if any iOS devices are logged into the same Apple ID/iCloud/Music account/library. In that case, MacOS Music app option to update the iCloud library, does not work. This situation is effective with Monterey 12.1 and I wish it were not so. Please help me by pointing out a less drastic ‘workaround’ then the one I discovered. I would appreciate that so much. I am working on a project and for the time being, my work around is to ditch us of the cloud library all together. That work around is way too drastic and time consuming for more frequent use

Dec 30, 2021 10:55 AM in response to cbunag

UPDATE: macOS Music finally gave me an error message, saying something along the lines of "Sync does not recognize your Library and cannot update Genius. Please turn off Genius by going to File -> Library -> Turn Off Genius." (I don't have the actual text because it was a self-destructing message) The catch is that option actually doesn't exist. I found in another support post that you can force it to rebuild Genius by logging out of your Music account by going to Account -> Sign Out, and it finally fixed it for me!

Note: I had already tried signing out of Music before, but only after the error message showed up did the fix actually work. It's as if the Cloud Sync had to take some time to figure out why it was confused.

Even though I fixed this myself, I'm going to leave this post up to hopefully help others if they Google search this issue.

iCloud Music Library Not Syncing Correctly Between Mac and Mobile Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.