Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locating Word docs on Mac after migrating them from a PC, where are they?

We migrated my data from a PC to my new Mac and downloaded Word for Mac. But where do I find my Word docs on the Mac?

iMac 24″, 12.1

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 3:54 PM

6 replies

Dec 31, 2021 11:20 AM in response to tbirdvet

Hi tbirdvet-- Thanks for reply to my question. Unfortunately, when I click on the documents icon (after going to the Finder feature) it is empty. What to do? Do I need an app of some kind? Using the magnifying glass is unsatisfactory because I dont know the names of many of my docs. I need a list. Also, how can I move the documents icon to my launchpad?

Dec 31, 2021 3:25 PM in response to Cklongstreth

Normally a Mac migration copies over all the user documents that were saved to the original Mac or PC's users personal documents folder.

If you stored your Word files anywhere other than your User Documents folder on an old Windows PC then they would not have transferred.

The easiest thing to do is a wildcard search on your Mac to find all the files of a particular type and then for any that you recognise you can query where they are currently held.

Unfortunately your new installation of Microsoft Office for Mac will not be able to find those files itself, until you have opened them individually on the new Mac at least one time, because as a new software installation Word for Mac has no history or knowledge of what document files exist on the Mac or where they might be saved to and AFAIK Microsoft Word for Mac is not equipped to scan your hard disk by itself and search out documents, probably for security reasons.

To generate a list of all word documents on your hard drive open a Finder window, click on the finder icon on the Dock and in the Finder window under "Locations" double click on the personal name for your Mac, it may be something like "Cklongstreth's iMac", or whatever actual name you gave when setting up your new Mac.

After double clicking that computer name under Locations, the banner at top of the finder Window now shows your computer name and that you are searching that location.

Now click on the "Spyglass" symbol, top right, and in the search box type " .doc " without the quotes" and Spotlight will search the entire selected location for any Word or Word type documents and present them in a list format. If you had a later version of Word previously you can search instead for only documents with the .docx extension, just type " .docx " in the Spotlight search field to return a list of all .docx files on your Mac. The first time that you run this search it may take some time before the files begin appearing in the results list, later searches produce results much faster once Spotlight has learned where .doc or .docx files were found.

Once you recognise one or two of the original word files that have migrated across from your old PC to the new Mac then single click on the file in the list to select it and at the bottom of the finder window will be displayed the path to where that document has been saved, e.g. Cklongstreth > Documents > WorkFiles> Customer Documents, etc, however you named your original folders.

You can open the Word file in Microsoft Word by right-clicking the file name in the Spotlight search results list and select "Open With" > "Microsoft Word".

Once you have done that one time then Word will remember where the file is located in future and you can go to that document straight from the recently opened documents list in Word.

If you find by chance that the Mac Migration assistant did not transfer those original Word documents across to your new Mac then the simplest thing to do is to go back to the old Mac or PC and transfer across your old folders of Word doc's using an external flash drive or USB disk etc, or if not too many files then use a free online cloud storage folder and save the original Word files to your cloud folder on the old Mac or PC and then access them in the same cloud account on your new Mac.

You may have already done this anyway if you have been using a cloud storage account on your old computer to synchronise your personal documents folder(s) across other devices.

I hope the above may be of help.

William.

Locating Word docs on Mac after migrating them from a PC, where are they?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.