Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sidecar with stylus

Hello

I wanted to ask if I need Apple Pencil to be able to draw using sidecar, or will any other stylus work with it?

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 10:24 PM

You are not going to be able to draw when using your iPad as a SideCar with your Mac. Your iPad runs as an extension of your Mac and will only perform how your Mac's screen normally would.

There is a Sidebar that exists on your iPad when in SideCar mode. It has quick functions icon that you can tap with your Apple Pencil.

Here is more information about ➔ Using an iPad as a second display for a Mac

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2021 10:24 PM in response to kamdzi

You are not going to be able to draw when using your iPad as a SideCar with your Mac. Your iPad runs as an extension of your Mac and will only perform how your Mac's screen normally would.

There is a Sidebar that exists on your iPad when in SideCar mode. It has quick functions icon that you can tap with your Apple Pencil.

Here is more information about ➔ Using an iPad as a second display for a Mac

Axel F.

Dec 31, 2021 12:21 AM in response to Axel Foley

On this website I found info like this:

To point, click, select, and perform tasks such as drawing, editing photos, and manipulating objects on your iPad while it's extending or mirroring your Mac display, you can use your Apple Pencil instead of the mouse or trackpad connected to your Mac.

And that is just what I want to do.

My question is if it is only possible with original Apple Pencil, or will the 3rd party pens work as well?

sidecar with stylus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.