Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How download apps+data from iCloud but not iPhone settings?

I erased my existing iPhone (13 Pro running 15.2), then set it up as new, and now want to bring back my apps and data from iCloud. I do NOT want to do a full backup restore because that will bring back not only apps and data but also system settings, and the whole reason I erased my iPhone in the first place is that there is some system setting buried in the backup that is blocking MMS from working properly. Apple support told me to setup the iPhone as new, then instead of restoring from backup, I should go to the iCloud page in settings and manually download all the apps I want back, which will give me back the apps and their data. Bringing them back this way will allow me to get my apps+data back without bringing back the corrupt system data that network resets and other troubleshooting steps have not been able to fix. But when I go to the iCloud screen I don't see how I re-download my apps+data. I have a call w/Apple support later today but posting here in case anyone knows how to do this. Thanks!

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 10:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 10:46 PM

There is no way to selectively restore just apps and data

You can download your purchases in the App Store.

Open the App Store app

Tap on your profile

Tap purchased

You can download all of your apps there (provided each is still available in the App Store).

Your app data will be lost unless you restore your backup; if the app stores data in iCloud your account should be in tact when restoring the app if you toggle on iCloud use on each (Settings > Apple ID > iCloud)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2021 10:46 PM in response to bko1989

There is no way to selectively restore just apps and data

You can download your purchases in the App Store.

Open the App Store app

Tap on your profile

Tap purchased

You can download all of your apps there (provided each is still available in the App Store).

Your app data will be lost unless you restore your backup; if the app stores data in iCloud your account should be in tact when restoring the app if you toggle on iCloud use on each (Settings > Apple ID > iCloud)

Dec 31, 2021 12:37 AM in response to muguy

Thanks for quick reply. The support person I spoke with said getting back the apps and data in this way was a new feature (I didnt ask how new) and was designed in part to help solve problems like mine, where there is a system setting that is messed up that is buried somewhere to the point that you need to do a clean install of iOS while not being forced to lose all yr data. I am 100% sure he said go to the iCloud page. He did not say go to the App Store. Something about on the page you'll see all yr apps listed as grayed out. Enable each one. I'm hoping I didn't misunderstand him. I'll post back after I've talked with Apple again.

How download apps+data from iCloud but not iPhone settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.