Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Microsoft Office after using Migration Assistant

Using Migration Assistant I have successfully moved everything from my old Mac (late 2013, using Catalina) to lovely brand new Mac, using Monterey. All is good apart from when I try to use Microsoft Word or Excel. It appears my licence is not recognised by Microsoft. I obviously don't want to purchase Microsoft Office all over again. What do I do? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 9:52 AM

Depending on how many times you've previously activated it, you reactivate it by opening any one of the apps, I usually use Excel, and signing into your Microsoft account. If that fails, you'll need to chat with MS as they no longer offer phone activation.

3 replies

Dec 31, 2021 7:32 AM in response to PhilSpectrum

The Microsoft license is tied to the hardware ID of your Late-2013 iMac, and not your new Mac. As suggested, contact Microsoft and ask for assistance migrating your license to the new Mac. Hopefully, they will not require a new license purchase for the same software. Keep your Microsoft and macOS versions current as you proceed.

Problem with Microsoft Office after using Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.