Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing lost files in messages for imac

While cleaning up files in my messages folder, I accidentally deleted all the chat files (chat.db, etc.). Now, when I use chat on my computer, it no longer saves any chat history. Is there any way I can get those files back without having to reboot my computer? I thought I could just download a new messenger app, but it looks like it is not possible.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 7:14 AM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

You should not be "cleaning up" system or user library folders. The system manages all that on its own.

Can you restore that file from your Time Machine backup: Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support?

Jack

4 replies

Dec 31, 2021 10:36 AM in response to nbow45

Then you have lost the files. I hope you have some type of backup system installed, if not that is your #1 thing to do. Operating any computer without a backup plan is a 100% guarantee of lost data as you are finding out. Please refer to Back up your Mac with Time Machine, all it requires is an external HD. Many experienced users on these forums prefer the OWC Mercury Elite Pro due to it's high reliability, reasonable pricing, support and when the internal HD dies it is simple to replace.

Also, please remember that Mac OS is extremely stable and operates best if simply left alone. NEVER EVER install third party antivirus, cleaning or other third party maintenance apps, Mac OS simply does not need them and adding them tend to have the opposite effect users want. They make Mac OS slow, appear buggy and do extremely odd things.

Okay, I am off my soapbox now.

Installing lost files in messages for imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.