Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't reinstall High Sierra on mid 2011 iMac

I sold my mid-2011 iMac, and am trying to get it ready to ship. I erased the drive, using Disk Utility, but cannot reinstall the OS, with the error message being that the request timed out. I've tried 3-4 times, with the same (non) result. The log shows a lot of errors, none of which I can copy and paste here, obviously, but I have sent them to Apple twice now.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 9:02 AM

Never mind. On the 5th try, it worked. The only change I made was switching to the 2.4 Ghz band on my router, from the 5Ghz. Both bands work well in the house, so not sure why that was the trick, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth! Happy New Year!

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 1, 2022 8:40 AM in response to jmdaniel

HS is no longer available from the Apple Store. You can create a bootable USB for older OS and install following the directions here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Not sure if you need a similar vintage Mac to do this dance.

Follow the directions to create the installer and the Terminal commands. I deliberately named my USB MyVolume so I just had to copy and paste the command for HS.

Hope this helps.

Can't reinstall High Sierra on mid 2011 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.