Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey dock icons not working

I recently upgraded to Monterey and now the dock icons do not function. I must go into my applications folder, find the software and run it from there. The launchpad remains permanently loading applications but never resolves with loaded applications. Shutting down and resetting PRAM fixes the issue - until the next day when I attempt to log in again. A few days ago, the dock disappeared entirely, perhaps a related issue.

Mac mini, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 10:12 AM

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CMM

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2022 10:12 AM in response to Jan Becket

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CMM

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Jan 1, 2022 9:48 AM in response to Jan Becket

Jan Becket wrote:

I recently upgraded to Monterey and now the dock icons do not function. I must go into my applications folder, find the software and run it from there. The launchpad remains permanently loading applications but never resolves with loaded applications. Shutting down and resetting PRAM fixes the issue - until the next day when I attempt to log in again. A few days ago, the dock disappeared entirely, perhaps a related issue.

Hold the Command Key and drag off the icons that don't work.

You can drag a fresh copy to the Dock from the Applications folder.

Jan 1, 2022 12:42 PM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for reminding me about safe mode and those 3rd party apps. I got ruthless and deleted old apps and their application support items in the Library. App Cleaner was useful in locating all their related files. One of them must have been causing the problem, because now the dock icons work. Maybe it was DiskWarrior, VMware Fusion or maybe something else.

Monterey dock icons not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.