Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My m1 macbook pro says I'm running 12.0.1, it also tells me there is an update to 12.1 but the update button is greyed out. I tried the recovery to reinstall Monterey but after eight plus hours the progress bar barely budges

My m1 macbook pro says I'm running 12.0.1, it also tells me there is an update to 12.1 but the update button is greyed out. I tried the recovery to reinstall Monterey but after eight plus hours overnight the progress bar barely budges

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 8:18 AM

Hi Mr Starfield,

We understand you're unable to update the macOS software due to the button being grayed out. First, make sure there is enough space to update: See used and available storage space on your Mac. Also, make sure the MacBook stays connected to a power source the entire time. If there is a different Wi-Fi network, we recommend trying that to ensure it isn't network related.

Here's an article that may be helpful: If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS.

Best wishes.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2022 8:18 AM in response to Mr Starfield

Hi Mr Starfield,

We understand you're unable to update the macOS software due to the button being grayed out. First, make sure there is enough space to update: See used and available storage space on your Mac. Also, make sure the MacBook stays connected to a power source the entire time. If there is a different Wi-Fi network, we recommend trying that to ensure it isn't network related.

Here's an article that may be helpful: If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS.

Best wishes.

Jan 3, 2022 12:27 PM in response to ryane77

Thank you for responding, I was finally able to update last night. I had plenty of space on my hard drive. Oddly enough about a week or so ago when I performed the restart with my options enabled It was shown, through digging around after the restart, that I was running 12.1 even though my About this Mac continued to show 12.0.1. After I experienced the greyed out update button last night I restarted and the option to update disappeared yet I was still on 12.0.1. I did the restart with options and was finally able to choose reinstall Monterey, though it showed 5 hours 57 minutes for a long time it clicked over to 15 then 18 hours then after about 2 hours it went to 1 hour then 15 minutes. I admit I don't have the fastest internet speeds for sure but I've been using Macs since before the Macintosh SE came out and have never had this much of an issue. Everything is working fine now though and I am very happy with both the hardware and the operating system, thanks again.

My m1 macbook pro says I'm running 12.0.1, it also tells me there is an update to 12.1 but the update button is greyed out. I tried the recovery to reinstall Monterey but after eight plus hours the progress bar barely budges

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.