Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook: Delete myself Admin?

I'm giving my MacBook to my spouse, and got most everything signed out of and shut down.

However, it's still showing me as Admin. When I click on the 'Padlock' option, it will no longer accept either of the only 2 passwords it could possibly be.

Any ideas how to fix this so I can set him as Admin over this machine?

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 9:14 PM

Hi pedal_pusher,

Unless you want to preserve some data on the Mac (such as photos), you should erase it so that your spouse can set it up as new.

To erase your Mac, follow these steps: Erase all content and settings on Mac - Apple Support

If you want to reset your login password instead, you can do so using these steps: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT212190

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2022 9:14 PM in response to pedal_pusher

Hi pedal_pusher,

Unless you want to preserve some data on the Mac (such as photos), you should erase it so that your spouse can set it up as new.

To erase your Mac, follow these steps: Erase all content and settings on Mac - Apple Support

If you want to reset your login password instead, you can do so using these steps: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT212190

Jan 2, 2022 12:33 PM in response to pedal_pusher

There may be at least one possibility that may work, one that

should have been used initially. Try to erase & restore the Mac,

~ so it starts up to a macOS, that looks like it's new again.

I've no time now (online) to re-search any extenuating

circumstances or workarounds there are a few here who

have done that sort of thing recently; and could help.

Probably I've half dozen Support articles' instructional

how-to's, where one could explore possibilities through.

You may have to see if your Apple ID account can be useful

to this end; there are ways & means; learn them you must.

Good luck & happy trails! ☺︎

MacBook: Delete myself Admin?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.