Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face ID unloccked by another person

Why is my brother able to unlock my face id? He was on a visit a year after setting up my phone and was not present while initial setup etc.

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 10:40 AM

GK317 wrote:

Why is my brother able to unlock my face id? He was on a visit a year after setting up my phone and was not present while initial setup etc.

Per Apple (highlights added), The probability that a random person the population could look at your iPhone X and unlock it using Face ID is approximately 1 in 1,000,000 (versus 1 in 50,000 for Touch ID). For additional protection, Face ID allows only five unsuccessful match attempts before a passcode is required to obtain access to your iPhone. The probability of a false match is different for twins and siblings that look like you as well as among children under the age of 13, because their distinct facial features may not have fully developed. If you're concerned about this, we recommend using a passcode to authenticate.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2022 10:40 AM in response to GK317

GK317 wrote:

Per Apple (highlights added), The probability that a random person the population could look at your iPhone X and unlock it using Face ID is approximately 1 in 1,000,000 (versus 1 in 50,000 for Touch ID). For additional protection, Face ID allows only five unsuccessful match attempts before a passcode is required to obtain access to your iPhone. The probability of a false match is different for twins and siblings that look like you as well as among children under the age of 13, because their distinct facial features may not have fully developed. If you're concerned about this, we recommend using a passcode to authenticate.

Face ID unloccked by another person

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.