Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Water damage

I have a iPhone 11

and I dropped it while I was sledding For around 20 minutes and when I first picked it up it was a little bit shaky and lagging a little bit but I know it said the iPhone 11 is waterproof but how long

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 2:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 3:30 PM

No iphone is waterproof.

Water resistance will keep water out of 99% of phones but it is not permanent and damage is not covered by standard warranty, (only by AppleCare+)

Back it up daily as it could die at any time

5 replies

Jan 2, 2022 5:47 PM in response to Jeff1262

It's a limited water resistance when fresh from the factory. I suppose it's better than not trying to be water resistant, but it's not like a diving watch. They use adhesive seals that are more like tape. They degrade over time and especially when they're exposed to water or extreme temperatures. I would never rely on the water resistance.

Jan 2, 2022 6:00 PM in response to Jeff1262

Because I rely on my iPhone8 as a hotspot between houses, I purchased a LifeProof brand full-enclosure case ... claimed to be waterproof, drop-damage resistant, etc. Also because at the time the smooth rounded case was not as secure a grip as my old flip-phone. Pricey at $90, but purchased because LifeProoof said they cover damage if it fails.

Not that I have had any claims on it, so cannot guarantee their actions.

Jan 3, 2022 12:46 AM in response to y_p_w

There is also the SIM tray and the mute switch, not to mention the lightning port and the speakers. I tape over the mute switch and SIM tray and if I had wireless charging I would ytape over the lightning port too. AppleCAre+ is a good idea too - anything to reduce the risk of replacing the phone entirely as water damage is not repairable.

Cases themselves carry the risk of holding water close to the seals, so taking it out of a case until both are dry is advised after a water incident.

But best advice is not to get it wet or subject it to trauma, and carrying a phone while sledding poses both risks.

Water damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.