Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a long beard now and my Face ID isn’t working anymore because of it!

When I bought my phone I didn’t have a long beard and now I do and my Face ID isn’t working as needed!

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 6:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 6:56 PM

Add an alternate appearance 

For most users, Face ID will continuously learn as they change. If you have an appearance that can look vastly different, you can set up an alternate appearance so Face ID still recognizes you. You can't create a new appearance if you're wearing a face mask.

To set up an alternate appearance:

1. Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode. If asked, enter your passcode.
  2. Tap Set Up an Alternate Appearance.
  3. Look straight into your iPhone or iPad and place your face inside the frame.
  4. Gently move your head to complete the circle. If you're unable to move your head, tap Accessibility Options.
  5. When you finish the first Face ID scan, tap Continue.
  6. Gently move your head to complete the circle for a second time.
  7. When Face ID setup is complete, tap Done.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2022 6:56 PM in response to Sprink4669

Add an alternate appearance 

For most users, Face ID will continuously learn as they change. If you have an appearance that can look vastly different, you can set up an alternate appearance so Face ID still recognizes you. You can't create a new appearance if you're wearing a face mask.

To set up an alternate appearance:

1. Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode. If asked, enter your passcode.
  2. Tap Set Up an Alternate Appearance.
  3. Look straight into your iPhone or iPad and place your face inside the frame.
  4. Gently move your head to complete the circle. If you're unable to move your head, tap Accessibility Options.
  5. When you finish the first Face ID scan, tap Continue.
  6. Gently move your head to complete the circle for a second time.
  7. When Face ID setup is complete, tap Done.

I have a long beard now and my Face ID isn’t working anymore because of it!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.