Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"iPhone unavailable" message on lock screen

I have tried to update iPhone in a Mac computer after update and after being asked the passcode for the screen. iPhone game me message of “iPhone unavailable”

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 8:41 AM

Also having the same problem today. My daughter’s phone got “security locked” while charging, and “iPhone unavailable” after restarting the phone. No options for erase or enter passcode or face id. Just that message and Emergency button at the bottom.

tried connecting it to imac but cannot be detected. Phone just vibrates.

93 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2022 8:41 AM in response to Nicholas_B2

Also having the same problem today. My daughter’s phone got “security locked” while charging, and “iPhone unavailable” after restarting the phone. No options for erase or enter passcode or face id. Just that message and Emergency button at the bottom.

tried connecting it to imac but cannot be detected. Phone just vibrates.

Feb 4, 2022 9:41 PM in response to JessandVi

I'm having the same issue as you. Someone in our house tried to open my phone while I was sleeping, and now it only says "iphone unavailable" on the screen, but it doesn't have a timer. I followed the directions on Google to put it in recovery mode, connect to your computer or mac, and then tap recover after that. But every time I do that, it takes at least 5 hours for it to update. Abd it says error when I'm done updating. Someone please help :)

Jul 13, 2022 3:07 PM in response to JessandVi

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, did literally EVERYTHING Apple support told me, got told it’s a windows thing, windows referred me to an Apple adviser and on top of all this I NEED THE DEVICE SINCE IT HAS MY accessibility stuff. Ugh I am so frustrated! I can’t just go to an Apple sprite since the nearest is very far from me and I’m legally blind/hard of hearing so couldn’t do that anyway, and to add to it none of my relatives can drive me. I. Keep getting the Apple unavailable screen and no erase options and all advisor sleep tell me it to go to iTunes iTunes… I am very familiar and comfortable with computers so if I call it genuinely there’s nothing anywhere or I’ve tried everything else first. HELP

Jan 19, 2022 3:47 PM in response to JessandVi

Biggest problem here was the phone cannot be detected by the pc so you cant do anything to fix it. Was able to solve it with a tech from the apple support app.

Here are the steps, but you will need a mac OS desktop or laptop (havent tried with windows itunes) to connect the phone... Much better if you have a backup.

1. shutdown the phone (vol up, vol down, hold power
  2. before you connect the phone to the computer via cable, hold the power button to open the phone
  3. when the apple logo appears, connect the cable
  4. phone should now appear on your computer
  5. restore backup or back to factory settings

Dec 30, 2022 11:01 PM in response to TamaraGeeMusic

This is obviously an outstanding Apple issue. It happened to my girlfriend’s phone when it was just plugged in to charge. She never even tried signing in or entering anything. It’s a software glitch that they don’t want to admit is their issue, which it clearly is. Another lame Apple f*** up and another lame Apple excuse for not taking care of it. Same as it ever was, lame.

Jan 27, 2022 11:25 PM in response to JessandVi

Hello. I have the same situation! I forgot the passcode for my iPhone but I tried several times restoring with my apple ID, it wouldn't let me. Then I tried erasing everything & restoring from my pc but instead of letting me start my iPhone again it shows me " iPhone unavailable " there's nothing else no restore with apple id or emergency option. I'm stuck i don't know what to do from here my phone has been locked please help me.

Apr 21, 2022 7:56 AM in response to Smezbrooklyn

If your iPhone has iOS 15.2 or later installed, check out this link→How to reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when you forgot your passcode - Apple Support. Otherwise:

See this Apple support link→If you forgot the passcode on your iPhone, or your iPhone is disabled - Apple Support

Or watch this companion video ⬇️

After restoring the phone using one of the methods above you can restore your most recent backup.

May 1, 2022 7:11 AM in response to AmbiguousCROOK

AmbiguousCROOK wrote:

worthless. awesome IPHONE you suck I can't et into my phone nor restart it and you already scammed me $800.....thanks

That’s one way to look at it. The other way is simply restore your phone as described on this very page and you will have a working $800 phone. In fact, I’ll even repeat the instructions so you don’t have to scroll up to see them:

If your iPhone has iOS 15.2 or later installed, check out this link→How to reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when you forgot your passcode - Apple Support. Otherwise:

See this Apple support link→If you forgot the passcode on your iPhone, or your iPhone is disabled - Apple Support

After restoring the phone using one of the methods above you can restore your most recent backup.

Jan 3, 2022 12:58 PM in response to JessandVi

Hello JessandVi,

Thanks for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are unable to update your iPhone due to a message that states "iPhone unavailable". We can understand why you'd reach out for a solution.

Have you tried unplugging the iPhone, plugging it back in, then updating again?

Also, here is a resource that can help.

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Cheers!

Feb 1, 2022 10:56 AM in response to JessandVi

I have had this problem twice now - the phone simply does this or a hard reset while charging. It's a total PIA because when you restore it, all sort of things need to be reauthorised or have vanished. What Apple person allowed this remote wipe/lock feature to be rolled out without testing that it wouldn't self trigger while simply charging and unattended is a mystery. But it's a sign of arrogance on Apple's part that they rolled it out as an update without proper testing.

This has nothing to do with entering the wrong password - the phone just goes locked by itself, with no manual inputs, while charging. And Apple's approach seems to be to deny the problem.

By the way, anyone asking if you backed up recently is a person without a sense of self preservation...

Feb 4, 2022 7:59 PM in response to JessandVi

My iPhone 12 pro got a screen saying iPhone unavailable. I called apple support and they confirmed they cannot help out and the only way is to reset the phone due to security reasons.

Apple should be able to verify all the details they require to confirm the identity and unlock the phone. This issue never happened on the previous IOS

I am requesting apple to please help out with a better solution rather than wiping off the entire phone

Mar 14, 2022 8:16 AM in response to JessandVi

Guys this also happened to me. But the phone told me to wait 15 minutes. I waited the 15 minutes and the phone was able to unlock. I am not sure about all those steps performed with an apple tech.

I would like to know why it happened, though? To me it happened out of nowhere. The phone was working properly and had it in my pocket as i was cooking breakfast. Took out my phone to check weather, and said iPhone was unavailable. Then i rebooted the phone and when it came up it said iphone unavailable, wait 15 minutes.

these are my phone details:

phone model: Iphone XR

software: 15.3.1 (19D52)

Apr 26, 2022 8:37 AM in response to patrisha144

May 4, 2022 1:21 PM in response to kp9191

"iPhone unavailable" message on lock screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.