Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad email screen, remove annoying list of emails across bottom of screen

How do I remove that really annoying list of emails across the bottom of the mail screen whenever i open the mail app. See image below:

iPad Air 3, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 2:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2022 8:45 AM

Since installing iOS 15.6.1 annoying little boxes come up at bottom of email. There is a plus sign to add, but no way to PERMANENTLY remove. They are of no use to me but are very annoying so I am repeatedly tapping to put them out of sight. Is there something I can do in settings to get rid of them?

48 replies

Mar 7, 2022 4:09 PM in response to LotusPilot

So far as I can tell what Pirate_Jenny is referring to is not Shelf, which is a way to easily switch between apps. What frustrates her and me both are these little thumbs that show up in Mail and, say, YouTube, with previously visited pages. I HAVE looked in both the Guide and Tips and can’t find any reference to them. (Not saying they aren’t listed there somewhere but simply that I can’t find them.) They are way more annoying than useful and there should be a way to turn them off.

Apr 17, 2022 3:15 PM in response to Smr1111

It has made me feel a little better that so many others find these "features" that a user is unable to disable as bothersome as I do.

With every new release it seems the O/S engineers at Apple find a new way to add something annoying that the user has no control over. Especially annoying are the so called features that turn your screen into a three ring circus unless you constantly waste time cleaning up after them.

Mar 8, 2022 10:42 PM in response to Pirate_Jenny

I had the same issue and took me a while to figure out what was going on.

I was able to remove them by clicking on them individually and canceling or deleting them. Some are old drafts saved in the system and some for me were multiple email window emails I had never closed. After dealing with them individually and eliminating them I do not get them popping up anymore. If I do see them it will actually be useful to remind me to either finish what im working on or to delete it if it is not needed anymore.

Hope this helps.

Jan 3, 2022 3:07 AM in response to Pirate_Jenny

You appear to make reference to the “Shelf” - this being a new feature of the now revised iPadOS multitasking environment. 

iPadOS permits you to have multiple “instances” of the same App - each instance being self contained. The shelf, when triggered, shows a thumbnail of each running instance of an App - or open page within it.

For example, if you have three running instances of Mail, or individual open messages, you will see three thumbnails that correspond to each running instance or open email - plus a button to open another. Simply tapping a thumbnail will switch directly to that open page. Each App has its own corresponding shelf.

This article from Appleinsider has a useful explanation of this new feature along with many of the updates to multitasking:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/08/12/how-to-master-multitasking-on-ipad-and-ipad-pro-in-ipados-15

The iPad User Guide is also a rich source of frequently overlooked information. The Guide is available both online using a web browser (such as Safari), or as an Apple Books download:

iPad User Guide - Apple Support

https://books.apple.com/book/id1567104892

You should note that the shelf is an integral component of the multitasking User Interface. It cannot be disabled.

Apr 1, 2022 3:46 AM in response to LotusPilot

I completely sympathize with the others on this issue.

1) the thumbnails are so tiny you can’t see what they are until you open them.

2) why would anyone need multiple copies of the same email they’ve stored in the drafts folder?

3) how does one know which version is the most current?

4) when you try to get rid of them you don’t know if you’re deleting the draft you want to keep

5) what beneficial purpose does this “feature” have?

6) Grant it, I’m a new iOS user, but I’m no newbie to using computers. This “feature” seems to be something for ADHD sufferers, not a multitask helper. Sorry, I can think of no use for this at all; it just puts me in a panic fearing loss of work I’ve spent time on and am still working on.

7) If doable, please forward these comments along to developers to at least make the “feature” optional.

8) Otherwise, I am thoroughly enjoying my excursion into the world of Apple.

Thank you!

Mar 23, 2022 5:38 AM in response to Smr1111

Smr1111 wrote:

I find “the Shelf” a complete distracting waste of time- please tell me how to durable this pointless feature.

To quote directly from my reply of 3rd January… “the shelf is an integral component of the multitasking User Interface. It cannot be disabled”.

Apple do invite submission of constructive comment and feature request via their Product Feedback portal:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Aug 25, 2022 5:14 AM in response to maribeth209

maribeth209 wrote:

I hate them. I would like to completely disable them forever.

By contrast - many Users find the advanced capabilities of iPadOS multitasking to be invaluable. While the ability to selectively disable multitasking features might be an attractive proposition for some, please don’t presume that your view is universal for all.

Apple do invite submission of constructive comment and feature requests via its Product Feedback portal. This might be the most appropriate channel through which to direct your input with regard to multitasking - and its implementation.

Product Feedback - Apple

Ipad email screen, remove annoying list of emails across bottom of screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.