Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does AirTag connect to WIFI ?

I have used the Tile device before but it requires other folks to find your lost item via bluetooth. How does this work? Does it connect via wifi (i.e. Verizon / Comcast wireless network) ? If placed on my dog's collar, and connected to the Comcast wifi, in theory, I would be able to track this my phone using wifi. Is that how this works? As long as my pet is in the WIFI network, in I should be able to track him. Also, what is the battery life? With Tile, you had to replace the device after about a year. Becomes expensive when compared to replacing just a battery. thanks for any info the forum has.

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 7:16 AM

It does not connect to WiFi at all. It uses bluetooth, with other devices that may be near it. i.e what sends the location of the tag are any Apple devices around it that are nearby and can pick it up.

The battery in the AirTag is replaceable. It's a normal coin style battery. It should last several months to a year depending on usage.

Apple advises against using AirTags to track pets. It's meant for inanimate objects. Like keys, wallets, luggage you are traveling with etc... not pets or children.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2022 7:16 AM in response to g021371

It does not connect to WiFi at all. It uses bluetooth, with other devices that may be near it. i.e what sends the location of the tag are any Apple devices around it that are nearby and can pick it up.

The battery in the AirTag is replaceable. It's a normal coin style battery. It should last several months to a year depending on usage.

Apple advises against using AirTags to track pets. It's meant for inanimate objects. Like keys, wallets, luggage you are traveling with etc... not pets or children.

Jan 3, 2022 7:43 AM in response to g021371

g021371 wrote:

thanks for the update. down the road would be nice to have something that does connect on WIFI and able to track.

Why?

That makes little sense. Making it connect to Wifi would limit them to places where there is Wi-Fi and the Wi-Fi is unprotected so it can connect to it and not require entering a password. . They would be useless if there is no Wi-Fi or even if there is Wi-Fi networks but they require a password. Like most do.

Having it connect to other devices over bluetooth, means it can be tracked even when no Wi-Fi is available. If you pet is outside and gets lost, its very unlikely it will come across a Wi-Fi network on the street. Wi-fi networks are inside buildings and houses not out in the street. Also, the AirTag is tiny. There is no CPU inside that can negotiate a Wi-Fi network connection and how would you even provide a password to connect to it from an AirTag?

Bluetooth makes much more sense, since just being near a device would relay its location without needing to connect to anything at all.

If they ever make a version for Pets, if the pet merely walks near someone with an iPhone, iPad, iPod etc.. it would relay its location. Rather than requiring it to connect to a Wi-Fi network you have no password for.

Does AirTag connect to WIFI ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.