Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't save pages in Safari--only active is Escape...

I've recently lost the ability to save Safari pages. When I try to do so, I get dialog box that shows my Finder area where I would normally choose a folder destination. Now, however, I get taken to a specific folder (one of my work folders) and while I see a Save button, clicking it does nothing. Nor can I navigate to any other folder. The only option I have is to exit using the Escape key (the "Cancel" button doesn't work either).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 8:07 AM

22 replies

Jan 4, 2022 9:48 AM in response to Nestor Holynskyj

Hey there, Nestor,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you are having difficulty saving Safari pages on your Mac. You've come to the right place to get some help!

To get started, we recommend using the steps in the Apple Support article If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected - Apple Support.

If you still are having trouble after that, see if you can reproduce it in safe mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

Best!

Jan 5, 2022 2:04 PM in response to Nestor Holynskyj

Thanks for getting back in touch, Nestor.

Since the issue continued in safe mode, the next recommendation would be to try duplicating it in a new user account: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support. If it works there, it will let us know something specific to your user account is causing it to occur.

Should it not work in a new user, however, you'll need to get in touch with Apple Support directly for additional assistance. You can do that here: Get Support.

Have a wonderful day!

Feb 3, 2022 12:35 PM in response to Nestor Holynskyj

Good idea Nestor, didn't think about that.

I really hope they take a look at this, it's so annoying to me because I use webarchives a lot.

I even tried rolling back to Safari 14 which of course they make impossible. I'd have to re-install the OS, too much pain.

I already filed a bug report, maybe if you have the patience you can do the same.

It's done here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/safari.html

Jan 19, 2022 1:49 PM in response to Lindsay_B.

I finally got back to this and tried the following:

• I saved the Safari preference files to my desktop and deleted those files in the Library. Same issue occurred with the "new" Safari and its preferences
  • I then logged in from a test user account I have set up. Same issue arises.

I am running the Safari beta (Version 15.3 (15612.4.9.1.3, 15612)) and I'd like to revert back to the regular published version. Googling did not bring up a way to do this. Any hints? Thx

Jan 31, 2022 4:07 AM in response to MikeBarros

Mike:

I tried that and thinking I was clever, I chose to record my entire screen while doing that test. What is saw was the "New Folder" button flash for second at the bottom left of the screen and then the Save Dialog box comes up at the top, with the "New Folder" button in it's right place. Basically, what is displayed for a second is the bottom of the dialog box before it moves into position (see the attachment). Bizarre

Jan 24, 2022 11:44 AM in response to Nestor Holynskyj

Funny. :-( Ok, maybe we must search for our own.

I just have a look in the logs:

standard 20:40:10.994560+0100 SafariBookmarksSyncAgent Process com.apple.SafariBookmarksSyncAgent did release lock: com.apple.WebBookmarks.SafariTabs.lock

standard 20:40:12.267779+0100 com.apple.Safari.SandboxBroker CoreAnimation: failed to receive fence reply: 10004003

standard 20:40:12.292196+0100 com.apple.Safari.SandboxBroker <NSViewServiceMarshal: 0x7ff7dfc186c0 <NSRendezvousSheetController: 0x600003cecaa0 <NSSavePanel: 0x7ff7dfd13b10>>> encountered accessory view with unexpected class NSView

fehler 20:40:12.701569+0100 com.apple.Safari.SandboxBroker mach error 0x10000003: (ipc/send) invalid destination port

fehler 20:40:12.701608+0100 com.apple.Safari.SandboxBroker mach error 0x10000003: (ipc/send) invalid destination port

fehler 20:40:12.701632+0100 com.apple.Safari.SandboxBroker mach error 0x10000003: (ipc/send) invalid destination port

fehler 20:40:12.701651+0100 com.apple.Safari.SandboxBroker mach error 0x10000003: (ipc/send) invalid destination port

fehler 20:40:12.701668+0100 com.apple.Safari.SandboxBroker mach error 0x10000003: (ipc/send) invalid destination port

fehler 20:40:12.720892+0100 com.apple.Safari.SandboxBroker mach error 0x10000003: (ipc/send) invalid destination port

fehler 20:40:12.720937+0100 com.apple.Safari.SandboxBroker mach error 0x10000003: (ipc/send) invalid destination port

fehler 20:40:12.720962+0100 com.apple.Safari.SandboxBroker mach error 0x10000003: (ipc/send) invalid destination port

fehler 20:40:12.721860+0100 com.apple.Safari.SandboxBroker mach error 0x10000003: (ipc/send) invalid destination port

fehler 20:40:12.721900+0100 com.apple.Safari.SandboxBroker mach error 0x10000003: (ipc/send) invalid destination port

fehler 20:40:12.721925+0100 com.apple.Safari.SandboxBroker mach error 0x10000003: (ipc/send) invalid destination port

fehler 20:40:12.723000+0100 com.apple.Safari.SandboxBroker mach error 0x10000003: (ipc/send) invalid destination port

fehler 20:40:12.723040+0100 com.apple.Safari.SandboxBroker mach error 0x10000003: (ipc/send) invalid destination port

fehler 20:40:12.723063+0100 com.apple.Safari.SandboxBroker mach error 0x10000003: (ipc/send) invalid destination port

standard 20:40:19.502502+0100 Safari 0x118ae87e0 - [PID=0] WebProcessCache::setApplicationIsActive: (isActive=0)

standard 20:40:19.609603+0100 SafariBookmarksSyncAgent Process com.apple.SafariBookmarksSyncAgent did acquire lock: com.apple.WebBookmarks.SafariTabs.lock

standard 20:40:19.611943+0100 SafariBookmarksSyncAgent Process com.apple.SafariBookmarksSyncAgent did release lock: com.apple.WebBookmarks.SafariTabs.lock

I see this messages when i try to save a page.

Tomorrow i will learn, what "invalid destination port" means ...

Jan 30, 2022 1:50 PM in response to Nestor Holynskyj

Too bad the Apple screwed up saving web pages when they revised Safari to version 15. And too bad that the "experts" at Apple are so busy with marveling at the latest versions of Mac OS that they couldn't help you (or me) with our "old" Catalina.

After clicking Save As, you can use the keyboard Cmd-S to save the Web page---but it saves only as an html file, not as a webarchive. The advantage is that it can be opened in any browser; the disadvantage is that it may not look the same when reopened.

I learned about this "trick" after intensive fruitless searching, and finally noticing at https://iphoneteile.com/530149/making-webarchives-on-Safari-15-2-on-Catalina-10-15-7/ the remark that "I can manipulate the save page with the keyboard" and remark by Missing Fe that "The created file (webarchive) also effected, it’s no longer a “webarchive” file which is unique to safari, now it’s a “html” file instead. If we reopen the file, it’s not a complete page that we save earlier."

There is something else going on. Very few users have complained. My wife and I both have Mac OS 15.7 and Safari 15; but on her machine Safari still works as it used to, saving webarchives. I can't detect what is different.

Perhaps there is some other "hidden" key combination that will allow saving as a webarchive (hint: It isn't Cmd-W). Maybe the Apple "experts," if they bother to explore instead of giving pat answers, or if maybe they would consult the engineers who mangled Safari, they might even be able to discover it and let the rest of us know.

Jan 30, 2022 2:25 PM in response to Paul J Campbell

I appreciate the reply but it doesn't address the problem I'm having. In the past (as recently as a month ago) I was able to save pages in Safari. As a matter of fact, I was able to designate whether I wanted the page saved as HTML or webarchive. What's happening now is that I can't get beyond the initial display of the target folders. It just hangs linked to a particular folder destination (don't know how it decided that) and while there are a "Cancel" and "Save" button at the bottom, neither are functional. The only way for me to get out of the situation is to hit Escape.

To reiterate, this condition exists regardless of which account I use on my MBP, whether or not I start in Safe mode, and even with re-installing the OS. A complete mystery!

Jan 30, 2022 2:42 PM in response to Nestor Holynskyj

Hello Nestor, the same thing is happening to me on my iMac and MacBook Pro, both with Catalina and Safari fully patched.

One thing I notice is after pressing CMD+S to save a page, a window pops up on the bottom left of my screen for a very brief split second before disappearing, after which the normal Safari Save dialog comes up. Can you check if this also happens to you? It might be a clue...

Feb 4, 2022 10:32 AM in response to MikeBarros

I have exactly the same issue, which suddenly started out of the blue maybe a few weeks ago. I *think* it was after I (foolishly) relented to some endlessly annoying prompt by Apple about "updates are available"—which usually I never do.

I'm on a 2019 iMac, Catalina 10.15.7, Safari 15.2 (with a string of numbers after it in parentheses, whatever those are).

I've tried everything I know, and finally have had to chew leather and use another browser. Has anybody found any new clues to solving this mess?

Feb 7, 2022 10:09 AM in response to Nestor Holynskyj

Here's a new twist that you should try and confirm if it's universal or just me: If I go to a page that contains a PDF (e.g., an appliance manual), I am able to save it, even navigating to a desired target folder. However, if it's a web page (that would normally result in a webarchive), then I get the hang problem that can only be resolved by hitting the escape key.

Let me know if you can replicate these actions. Thx

Feb 21, 2022 9:00 AM in response to Nestor Holynskyj

I'm having the SAME ISSUE!

I CANNOT SAVE a page as a web archive.

When I go to File>Save As, the save and cancel buttons do not work. If you press enter (to save), it saves it as an html file instead and press esc (to cancel)

Maybe it's because of Safari Version 15.3 (15612.4.9.1.8, 15612).

Apple, FIX THIS NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 25, 2022 2:14 AM in response to Nestor Holynskyj

Yes, I can reproduce that exactly. Saving a PDF incl. selecting destination folder works.

Maybe worth noting that this leads to a (partial) workaround for selecting a destination folder for saving html only (no webarchive): Go to a page with a PDF, cmd-s, select the desired destination folder, press the cancel button, go to the html page you want to save, cmd-s, now the previously selected folder should still be selected, cmd-s again should now store the plain html here.

@Apple: Please fix. I would prefer to stay with Safari as default browser, but if elementary bugs are not fixed...

My OS: 10.15.7 (19H1715)

Safari: 15.3 (15612.4.9.1.8, 15612)

May 7, 2022 8:45 AM in response to Nestor Holynskyj

Thanks for these suggestions. Nonetheless Apple MUST fix the bugs.

In my case, sometimes an extra effect of the bug is that after asking "save as", (1) the dialog box for choosing the destination file remains open despite hitting ESCAPE and (2) the Mac becomes progressively less responsive to the keyboard. Aftera a while no other program responds to the keyboard. (3) The solution is "force-quit" Safari using the mouse alone, or press the power button to force shutdown before the Mac crashes all by himself.

Can Apple please pay attention and as a minimum let customers know what Apple knows about the bug?

Can't save pages in Safari--only active is Escape...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.