Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random Sound “Blip/Drop” not using Skype or Live365 or whatever

I have searched repeatedly over days on my phone in Settings and on the Inter to find a solution for a seemingly random sound that occurs often when I pick up my phone, or open social media apps.

I do not use Skype or Live365 or Life360 or any of the apps mentioned in previous articles and they are not installed on my phone.

The apps I do have never used this iialert sound before and I cannot even find it in the Apple Sounds (current or classic).

Please help.

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 12:23 PM

doveraven,

Have you tried deleting any of the suspected apps temporarily? That might give you a better idea of whether this is isolated to a certain app. You mentioned closing the app and reaching out to a developer which is great. There's further guidance in If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open that might help.

If not, you can also contact Apple Support. You can reach out from Get Support or using the direct phone number for your region from Contact Apple for support and service.

Kind regards.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2022 12:23 PM in response to doveraven

doveraven,

Have you tried deleting any of the suspected apps temporarily? That might give you a better idea of whether this is isolated to a certain app. You mentioned closing the app and reaching out to a developer which is great. There's further guidance in If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open that might help.

If not, you can also contact Apple Support. You can reach out from Get Support or using the direct phone number for your region from Contact Apple for support and service.

Kind regards.

Jan 4, 2022 1:56 PM in response to doveraven

Hello doveraven,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you are hearing a random sound from your iPhone when you open social media apps.

It sounds like you may have tried the steps in Change notification settings on iPhone. Have you checked the notifications settings for the apps this seems to be related to? Some apps have their own notification settings within the app. For instance, Facebook notifications settings can be changed using the guidance from How do I adjust my mobile push notifications from Facebook? Which social media apps in particular does this seem to happen with?

Take care.

Jan 4, 2022 3:19 PM in response to faith185

This noise occurs regardless of wether an app is open or not - the noise is random. Sometimes I am just holding the phone and looking with no apps open (yes, I know how to “officially close” the apps) and I will hear the noise.

I would rather not discuss publicly which app I am using that triggers the sound most often and reliably. I’m already in discussion with the Administrator of the app and will get feedback from them.

My concern here is Security.

I want to know if the app is possibly polling my phone for information regardless of wether the app is open or not, and if Apple is allowing them to do so. I don’t know if the EULA for the app or the phone would cover this information but would like to have someone point this out to me.

Jan 12, 2022 4:46 PM in response to faith185

I FINALLY got time to work this out. The app that I suspected had a reliable occurrence of this sound as it completed loading a feed of social user posts. I changed my password for the app and deleted it. I then restarted the iPhone.

- I did not hear/feel the blip/drop sound again.

so then I reinstalled the suspect app. It took me through the expected setup, but it did not ask me for my password, only it went straight to loading my feed and then blip/shake. Sigh.

Fortunately I have not heard/felt again and it may stay isolated to that app, that event now.

Thank you for your help and I hope this helps someone else. I will continue to monitor and report any new information.

Random Sound “Blip/Drop” not using Skype or Live365 or whatever

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.