Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blank space in the middle of a document

I was typing a document in pages. Somehow there is a large blank space between paragraphs and I don’t know how to get rid of it

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 11:42 PM

With the document open, and the large blank spaces visible, go to the View menu and select Show Invisibles. If you see a number of blue Paragraph break characters ( ¶ ) it means you've presses return several times between paragraphs, and that is what is causing the blank space.

More likely, though, you'll see only one ¶

at the end of each paragraph, or one at the end of the paragraph and a second at the beginning of an empty line before the next paragraph. If that's the case, do this:

• Click in the middle of a paragraph that is followed by a 'large blank space.'
  • Click the Format brush to open the Format Inspector.
  • In the Inspector pane, choose Text (this may be the only choice available), then look down the Inspector panel to the Spacing section.

I suspect you'll find the Before Paragraph or After Paragraph setting to be somewhat larger than the settings in this example. Reduce the settings to the values shown for a space between paragraphs only slightly wider that the space between lines in a singe-spaced paragraph.

Regards,

Barry

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2022 11:42 PM in response to Nfldfran

With the document open, and the large blank spaces visible, go to the View menu and select Show Invisibles. If you see a number of blue Paragraph break characters ( ¶ ) it means you've presses return several times between paragraphs, and that is what is causing the blank space.

More likely, though, you'll see only one ¶

at the end of each paragraph, or one at the end of the paragraph and a second at the beginning of an empty line before the next paragraph. If that's the case, do this:

• Click in the middle of a paragraph that is followed by a 'large blank space.'
  • Click the Format brush to open the Format Inspector.
  • In the Inspector pane, choose Text (this may be the only choice available), then look down the Inspector panel to the Spacing section.

I suspect you'll find the Before Paragraph or After Paragraph setting to be somewhat larger than the settings in this example. Reduce the settings to the values shown for a space between paragraphs only slightly wider that the space between lines in a singe-spaced paragraph.

Regards,

Barry

Blank space in the middle of a document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.