Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

convert video in .ASF

How to convert video in .ASF for Mac OS Catalina and iMovie

I have video files in Finder, with the older quick time and I want to edit them and use in the current and future iMac

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 8:14 PM

.asf files would need to be converted before they will play in QuickTimePlayer or iMovie.

I'm not sure whether the free download Handbrake will convert an .asf file, but wouldn't hurt to try. If it can't do it, you can search the internet for a converter that will convert .asf files.

So, try converting your .asf clips to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and see if the converted files will play on a Mac.

As another thought, I believe that .asf files will play on a Windows computer, and possibly they can be converted there and then imported to your Mac. That would assume that you have a Windows computer available to use.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2022 8:14 PM in response to trinalou

.asf files would need to be converted before they will play in QuickTimePlayer or iMovie.

I'm not sure whether the free download Handbrake will convert an .asf file, but wouldn't hurt to try. If it can't do it, you can search the internet for a converter that will convert .asf files.

So, try converting your .asf clips to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and see if the converted files will play on a Mac.

As another thought, I believe that .asf files will play on a Windows computer, and possibly they can be converted there and then imported to your Mac. That would assume that you have a Windows computer available to use.

-- Rich

convert video in .ASF

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.